ZBrushCentral

Vector Displacement Edge Clipping Problem

I am having an issue when creating displacements in ZBrush and bringing them over to maya and using them with Renderman. I want to create weathered wooden planks and want to use the trim dynamic/adaptive brush on the edges. However when I view them in Maya the mesh clips weirdly where I’ve done the scultping in ZBrush and this is not on a UV seam. The photos should show better what I’m trying to explain.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi HWOODLEY, I have exactly the same problem when I try to export my displacement/vector displacement into Renderman, did you manage the find the solution by any chance ? Thank you and all the best

I found a fix through using World/Object vector space instead of tangent.

1. In Zbrush go preferences - ImportExport - Vector Displacement Map and change the regular FlipAndSwitch to 41.
  2. When exporting the vector displacement map out of Zbrush through the multi map exporter turn off vd Tangent.
  3. In Maya, using the PxrDispTransform, continue to set the displacement type to Zbrush Vector and in the vector space select either world or object.

This has been the fix for me on objects with displacement on hard edges. Tangent can still be used on objects with more curved surfaces.

Hope this helped :slight_smile: