ZBrushCentral

UHF-Head WIP

Not sure who this guy is, but a genealogical link to Simpson, (Homer J), seems plausible.

Playing with using GroBoto’s simple geometries to create exaggerated head/facial structures. I find these give me a fast & fun start in ZBrush. Chasing for caricature & abstraction - 'tho in the bottom quad of images, I began to push things away from the geometric to something more natural.

I’ll definitely see where a couple of the other GroBoto variants take me – this is really fast and easy at all stages – great for me since I’ve precious little time for art & fun these days.

Thanks for stopping by,
Darrel

My GroBoto/ZBrush Synergy Thread

GroBoto Lab Work

[attach=109523]blockHeadSetup.jpg[/attach]

blockHead1-b.jpg

[attach=109525]blockHead1-a.jpg[/attach]

These (below), are very rough/ exploratory – hope to spend some time with them some later.

[attach=109526]blockHead1-vari.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

blockHeadSetup.jpg

blockHead1-a.jpg

blockHead1-vari.jpg

dude, can’t wait!! Unified mesh is just a killer feature… :+1:

Thanks Super Glitcher.

Yep – it fundamentally changes how GroBoto geometries can be used in the world of meshes.

We are currently adding some vital refinements, making it much better behaved with subdivision & ZTools – that’s the only reason I haven’t made it available in beta.

Soon.

Please stay tuned.
Darrel

Sketch/WIP – a follow-up of my previous post.

This one started with a different ‘blockHead’ (the one in the upper left corner of the batch of GroBoto heads in that previous post).

I added a sub object (GroBoto Bot), for the headdress… which is still pretty nondescript and blobby – but should be fun to play with.

Used a GRoBoto generated alpha for the spiral distortions on the head & shoulders.

Thanks for stopping by,

Darrel

Chief-wa.jpg

[attach=109616]Chief-wquad.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Chief-wquad.jpg

Can you import in Groboto any 3D objects for use them as normal “Groboto object” or the system is “closed” ?
Very cool investigations! :cool:

Hey Frenchy,

You can not import objects into GroBoto. GroBoto geometry is not mesh based – instead we use true parametric forms like ellipsoids, cones, spheres etc. We only use meshes for export.

However, we will be expanding the variety of parametric shapes in version 3.

Also, we have plans (probably later… 3-point-something) to allow importing of meshes as reference objects. These reference meshes could be used as a guide for creating GroBoto models with close relationships to the mesh (but still not part of any GroBoto scene or render).

Thanks,
D

…by technical icompatibility! :slight_smile:

the heads are awesome :+1: Looking forward to have a closer look at groBoto!

Thanks Erklaerbar, as you know, I love what you’re up to in your ‘Doodles’ thread – glad to see it’s getting lot’s of well deserved attention.

A new sketch/wip
Back to the bugs – a pal for enzo (see earlier post in this thread)…
Playing off another drawing I did a few years back – 'tho I put the drawing aside once I start modeling, want to let the process flow naturally, follow it’s own course.

First image shows the GroBoto base model. Arms, teeth and simple platform exported as separate subtools.

The rest of the images are the first Z-sculpting pass. Lot’s of little refinements to come – and a modest amount of texturing similar to enzo.

Thanks for stopping by,
Darrel

My GroBoto/ZBrush Synregy Thread

GroBoto Lab Work

[attach=110036]bugBow-setup-w.jpg[/attach]

bugBow-a-w.jpg

[attach=110038]bugBow-duo-w.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

bugBow-setup-w.jpg

bugBow-duo-w.jpg

In some ways, this looks more effective than using zspheres for base models! What’s your opinion? Regardless, cool workflow!

Man, Darrel!
Just stumbled across this thread. That is really fascinating stuff,5 stars from me.:+1:
This opens up to some real cool opportunities concerning mixing up organic and technical forms. Should be very cool for modeling cyberspace characters or organic space ships and such… I will try this for sure!
The “Jester” is somehow Blade Runner-like style. Really cool man.

Is the rendering, like you did on Enzo’s pal “bugBow” (pic 2 & 3 on the right) Groboto implemented or how did you achieve this clean plastic-like material look? (and the shadows as well).

Cheers!

Hey James,
Thanks.
I don’t want to get into too much detail here – but will follow up in my GroBoto Lab Work thread soon. But yes, the ability to freely assemble a rich set of primitives, and resolve them into a single mesh is an easy & flexible way to map out just about any form. We accurately track all surfaces, intersections and seams – and will allow the artist to control the smoothness/sharpness of those features. The exploded view of BugBow (below) gives some idea of GroBoto construction.

Hey Hurdy Gurdy Man,
Thanks. Yep, I see endless possibilities too – I’m just a couple of months into exploring ZBrush.

Looked at some of your work here and flickr – very nice stuff. Your traditional media background is influencing you Z work in a very good way. You can see some of my work in a variety of media ('tho mostly outdated) here:

Braid Site

Right, those are GroBoto renderings. you can find out more about that here:

GroBoto site

Best,
Darrel

Exploded view of BugBow’s GroBoto construction
[attach=110090]explodedBugBow.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

explodedBugBow.jpg

Really cool rendering,got to check that out. I’ve been on your Braid site too. It’s obvious that Groboto influences your illustration style. Very interesting work. I particulary like “boltz-z5” and the “ornosapien” (fits my vision concerning the conjunction of organic and technical shapes). When I started with ZBrush a short time ago, it was mainly for illustration and concept design purposes. But now I’m so into modeling characters and creatures that I’ll try to 3D print some stuff. Digital sculpting really gives me the kicks!

I've downloaded the orbNado obj. from the Groboto website and fooled a bit around with it in ZBrush, quite funny and all ZB materials with a little finishing in Photoshop;) .

I moved the picture to the Goboto thread

I'll keep in touch, Cheers!

Really Awesome Stuff Darrel! Compliments! :sunglasses: :+1:

Hi Hurdy Gurdy Man,

Thanks for the feedback – yes, ZBrush has done a beautiful job of making digital sculpting work naturally for artists.

Lovely ‘Portrait’ of orbNado… one small favor 'tho. In the future please post these sorts of images on my GroBoto/ZBrush Synergy Thread:

http://209.132.96.165/zbc/showthread.php?t=60734&referrerid=74302 ]GroBoto Lab Work

I’m hoping that Community Forum thread will evolve into a little nexus for GroBoto stuff & experiments by ZBrush artists. This thread is my catch-all wip/sketchbook. Some GroBoto discussion is inevitable here given my work flow – but don’t want this to become a GroBoto discussion thread – might not be appropriate for this Main Forum.

I’ll be in touch about getting you on the GroBoto Beta list (if you are interested). Would love to see what you do with it.

Best Wishes,
Darrel

Hey Piz,

Thanks.

I spent some time on your site – Great stuff… love the whimsy in your work – very fine sense of design too. Piante & Astronaut were faves… but fine & fun work all around.

Here’s a quick follow up on ‘bugBow’. Lot’s of little modeling tweaks, and a bit of poly tinting (way too subtle to qualify as poly painting – just enough to highlight & separate some of the elements).

Best Wishes,
Darrel

GroBoto Lab Work

bugBow2-a.jpg

[attach=110184]bugBow2-quad.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

bugBow2-quad.jpg

cool bug :cool:

Thanks Erklaerbar.

Here’s an exploratory sketch based on one model from a new series of GroBoto heads.
Not a lot of thought here, just seeing how the imported mesh & geometries react to a variety of tools.

I’d like to work up some sort of transformational sequence using many of these heads. Too ambitious at the moment – but someday.

Thanks for stopping by,
Darrel

GroBoto Lab Work

[attach=110214]evoPilot1-setUp-s.jpg[/attach]

evoPilot1-a.jpg

[attach=110216]evoPilot1-duo.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

evoPilot1-setUp-s.jpg

evoPilot1-duo.jpg

No problem, I moved the picture to the Goboto thread.
Testing the version 3 beta would be very interesting, so yes, I’d really like to do that.
I’ve downloaded the Gromobile prog and the gizmo’s btw. Kept on laughing all the time…funny stuff! :smiley: :wink:

Your sketch is cool. Reminds me a bit of the EVA robots from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Infact the Groboto shapes should be great for this kind of modeling.

See ya!

Hi Hurdy Gurdy Man,

Thanks – It will be great to see what you and others do with GroBoto – I think I’m more impatient than anyone – we’re working on it.

yep, those gizmos are pretty silly.

Here’s another take on the ‘evoPilot’. Started with the same GroBoto model as the pervious post’s sketch.

Thanks for stopping by,

Darrel

GroBoto Lab Work

[attach=110397]evoPilot3-grob.jpg[/attach]

evoPilot3-b.jpg

[attach=110399]evoPilot3-quad.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

evoPilot3-grob.jpg

evoPilot3-quad.jpg