ZBrushCentral

Tutorial: Generating quick game geometry from simple photographs!

Agree with Sebastien.

Emmanuel.

Joseph: thx a lot man, awsome technique, ty ty ty:D

I tried that, rotating plateform doesn’t work :cry:, photo scene editor calculate the snaps in the same origin, so it comes out as a flat mesh

I have tried this multiple times in the last 24hrs and I cant get it do work,

I have tried several different head references, and its just coming out flat and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the images

@Joebount: Yeah I too was hoping to be be able to just setup one camera and spin a subject while taking pictures. In all the tests I have tried the camera ends up picking something that is a constant in the scene and renders all the camera positions right on top of each other. Now you can manually set all the registration points across the images for the alignments but it’s a big pain. Also in testing the lazy susan effect I have found that even if I get the cameras to come in correctly the final ldiffuse texture has a lot of lighting banding in it. I have yet to find a way to get the lighting to be completely constant and totally even around a rotating model. So far the best and quickest results I have had are from myself rotating around a subject who is standing in the shade.

@Sebcesoir, @Maya4fun: No clue if they are planning to release a standalone or not. The program is going to be free using the cloud system till December then who knows what Autodesk will do then heh.

Another program to try that is standalone is Agisoft Photoscan (http://www.agisoft.ru/products/photoscan/) The program works pretty well and gives a better quality mesh but the diffuse texture it spits out is lacking. The Photoscan also takes about 10x as long to process a scene then the Autodesk one does (The dedicated servers on the autodesk cloud are extremely fast, however after the whole dropbox security fiasco no telling how safe your images/scans really are when dealing with a cloud server in a production pipeline.)

@Sparky3d: If you can upload your images somewhere i’d be happy to take a look at them and see if I can find a solution. In testing I have only came across flat geometry once and it was a result of over lighting the subject and high specular reflections across the nose (might be something else to look for in your images?)

Sorry, I hope you didn’t think I was taking a pot shot or anything. It’s just that when you make a tutorial it’s important that you cover all the angles otherwise the viewer can either feel lost or that they are missing information.

But, to reiterate, they are great tutorials.

Cheers,
Paul
(mix_mash)

Just a random idea, would this works with macro shots of insects?
Superb tutorial btw.

Great discovery.thank you. :smiley:

Wow!! great. Please make a full tutorial… Thanks!! :wink: :+1:

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic here.

@mix_mash. I believe its I who owe YOU an apology. I read your original post in haste and in the wrong frame of mind. After the fact I have notice you also have provided some very useful and free tutorials.

:o <- me

I was defending the OP when no defense was warrented.

Thank you, also for your contributions that have helped us novices so much.

Don’t worry about it. I can sometimes come off as brusque or arrogant with my comments.

I also misread other peoples’ stuff sometimes, too, so don’t worry yourself. No offense taken.

Cheers,
Paul
(mix_mash)

Nice results,
I was trying out photofly last week and was really impressed with the results.

Images here

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150287792532049.379485.537727048&l=0b1b24d56f

Attachments

Thanks for the great tuts Joseph, and for taking the time to explain.
What I’m really curious about is how you take the head scan and clean up the mesh so well. I have no idea how you might do that in Zbrush! Any pointers would be most welcome, if you can ever find the time…
Thanks again, Sebastien

Hey man this is great. Thanks so much for sharing this info with us. I’ve been mucking around with this all day. I just wanted to ask how you are generating the bump map on your meshes?
Also I think Ive found a way around the issue with the turning chair/lazy suzan approach. I used a swivle chair against an all white bacground and then used the magic wand tool in photoshop to quickly remove the bacground leaving it black. this seems to work quite well

This is great !

Here is another option that’s been around for a while

http://www.strata.com/products/strata_3d_cx_suite/strata_foto_3d_cx/

It’s got a free 30 day trial so some comparisons would be interesting.
It works on [mac] and pc

I’m trail downloading now

we are considering to use it as a method if displaying objects before and after restoration. We’ve done a test with a polychrome wooden sculpture of about 28 cm’s. 78 photo’s

the underlying model is not good enough to be acceptable to use the model as an example for virtual restoration to show possibilities to clients. The photo textures cover up a lot and fake a lot of detail ofcourse. But interms of visualization, there’s definitely possibilities.

Example 360 turntable in Zbrush of the photofly2 model (the white on the hand is tape, the hand is badly damaged):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMrKNuaLvzY

We took photo’s all around it at a normal position and once more all around it from a higher point and at a downwards angle to get the top of the head. every photo consisted out of about 50-60% the object. We didn’t take any closeup images and maybe we should have, i’m not sure how the software handles a few closeup images among the 360° ones. I feel like the quality of the texture/model could’ve been better maybe if we did that.

The photo’s were taken in a professional photo studio and with a 30.000$ camera of which I don’t know the type.

All in all , it wasn’t bad for a first test though.

Great pipe line …
How can i download Project Photofly 02 ?

From there site i arrived at :
http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/photo_scene_editor/eula_text/

and it’s no download button here…or I agree button…or anything…

its here

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/photo_scene_editor/

You can’t download Photofly - just a client that edits/uploads your photos…
All the work is done in the cloud.

edit I got it Thank you :slight_smile:

You can download it I did it 3 weeks ago and installed on pc fine. I just tried again because of your post and again it downloaded fine

follow the link on my previos post