ZBrushCentral

Topology on cleavage (Beginner)

Yeah that it’s, this is the first time I retopoed a torpedo tit character. Just wanted some recommendations on how to retopo the breasts when they are so close. Is it necessary to have proper topology in the inner cleavage. I do plan to either rig them or use a soft flesh simulator.

Hello @SagetaSanshiro

If you’re planning on rigging or posing a character in multiple poses, they should be created in a neutral position with limbs and digits spread apart. This is commonly done as a “T-Pose”. This is especially important if working with Dynamesh, because Dynamesh will fuse small features together if there is not enough space in between them, and you can no longer increase the resolution slider sufficiently to prevent it from happening.

If your mesh has been developed to a point where you can no longer Dynamesh it without fusing detail, then the stage where that particular tool is useful may have passed. Instead use ZRemesher to retopologize, or retopologize them manually, or use some combination of the two. ZRemesher will not fuse any features together, and will respect the topology of separate portions of mesh.

Good luck!

Yes I modeled it from the start in an A pose. The only unnatural part of the pose was the cleavage as I had planned for the model to wear a revealing outfit. I originally created the breasts in a natural hanging position. During the modeling process I had moved them together. I did a retopo in 3d coat and brought it back in. It looks fine but when I do a quick bpr render in zbrush from a far facing forward, there is a clear join underneath beneath the cleavage shadow. I found I can work around it by poly painting in a bit of shadow. But I’d like to know the best method for modeling a character with cleavage for future refence. I thought about making each breast it’s own polygroup or perhaps modeling them in a natural pose and move them together once I skin/rig it. But then I want to be able to model the clothing onto the model. I have seen plenty of z brush artists model women with cleavage and they didn’t seem to have this issue.