ZBrushCentral

Steve

Yo Zbrush fam! Long time no see.
I’ve been working on a Hyper-Real portrait the last couple of months after being inspired by Kris Costa and enrolling in his class. I’ve been meaning to learn more about XGen and Arnold in Maya and this became the project to do just that.

Steve_Portrait_L
I chose a young Steve Jobs as my subject for this project because I knew I’d end up spending a lot of time on it and I wanted someone who was somewhat important to me and not just another celebrity. Steve was a hero of mine and the work he and Apple did influenced my life in a big way. I did this work on an iMac for example and I’ve been making art with computers in some way or another since I was like 5. Mostly on my dads hand-me-down Macs. Steve is also the embodiment of a creative pioneer and a free thinking entrepreneur. He may not be all good but the best parts of his work and ideas have always been an inspiration to me.

Steve_Portrait_Wire-Fade
Steve_Portrait_Gray
Steve_Portrait_03
Steve_Portrait_02
Steve_Portrait02_L
Steve_Portrait02_Gray
Steve_Portrait_05

The modeling was all done in Zbrush and the details were sculpted by hand using HD Geometry and exported as Displacement maps. The Albedo was painted by hand using default brushes in HD too. I also made the Eyeball and painted that in Zbrush as well.
zbrush01
zbrush02
zbrush03

Some geeky stats for those interested:
High poly = 102 mil
Basemesh = 25k
UDIMs = 5
Disp Map = 8k x 5
Albedo Map = 4k x 5

Some Details:
Steve_Closeups

Hope you like it and I’m gonna whip up a little more behind the scenes making of stuff with a some more detail for people interested.
Happy Zbrushing

P.S. This forum is looking fresh

14 Likes

Fantastic! @jhill So great to see the details you are able to create (and pick up) with HD Geometry and polypaint :wink: Well done.
Jaime

1 Like

What a really outstanding Jobs, I mean job you did on this! Just superb work!

1 Like

Thanks Jaime! The process of using HD Geometry and exporting it as Displacement to Render in Arnold was great

fantastic!! level of detail great work!!!

1 Like

wow i mean wooooow

1 Like

Looks amazing JHILL!

Is the Kris Costa class you mentioned available via online video? Please post a link where I can purchase access to the online video recording of this class if so. I would love to take it. Or is the class only available in person?

Anyway, keep up the great work!

1 Like

It’s A Realistic Portrait Man!
I love your Material and Texture. Hair is awesome!
Thanks For Sharing.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes you can absolutely get access to the class videos. Here is a link to his site https://www.flyonthewall.studio
I highly recommend

1 Like

Thank you, glad you like it