ZBrushCentral

Scared Silly Entry by Mark Johnson (Dustbin1_uk)

Here is a test compose of Scared Sam, trying to see what colours would be best.

A test long shot with some tempory trousers on him. Gives me some idea what will work and what won’t.

Sigh! No one seems to care about me and my thread. Though it’s not surprising with so much talent in this competition, who’d care about a noob? (joking! Honestly):wink:

But seriously, I could do with some advice, C&C’s etc…

hey dude, awesome start! you might wanna give a bit more movement in the main charicter. i know it sounds weird but if i have a problem with a movement, take a picture of it. get a pair of trousers round your knees and try and get a photo of you falling backwards to see how the movement would work. great hand tho!

hahahahaha! I could just imagine my wife walking into the bedroom with me taking a picture of myself with my trousers down!

She’d say “Oh no not again!” :wink:

But yeah, he has not been possed yet, but your advice is sound, I’ll use a reference to work from when I do pose him.

One issue I have is that the shirt is a subtool and so will be the trousers. Any easy way to pose both of them together?

u might think about exporting them all as low poly .OBJs into 3Ds max or maya connecting them up and re exporting them into zbrush. that should give u the lines to work with immediately and give u the ability to pose the lot of it all together!

hey dustbin i think ur pretty good for a “noob” which i am too i only started 3 months ago. i think the main problem of your character is the mouth u should go and google and find your perfect mouth and recreate it. u should always work with some photographs they help a lot when working on an human. im doing snoop dog right now and im tweaking the mouth for at least 4 hours now and i just cant get it right.
u shouldnt get frustrated when no one posts back its mostly because people just dont know that there was progress in the thread. u should post a picture ever so often so that its displayed in the thumbnail gallery bellow the top row. just keep on and ull get noticed !!!

HenrySouth: Great idea! One issue though, sadly I have no 3D Studio Max or Maya, I could barely afford the price tag for ZBrush (dispite it’s good value).

As it is I am having to do all touch up work with GIMP as I have no photoshop until the knew year when I have saved up for it.

Sigh! the life of the broke novice.:cry:

Thanks Disco,

Yeah posting my images to ZBrush Central is a good idea to get people seeing my thread and offering C&C’s.

Been hosting my pics on my own site for now as I am also updating a WIP section I have there.

As for using a reference photo, your right. Google is amazing for the amount of images there. Will work on his expression and pose and let you all know.

You can do this by recording brush strokes in the Stroke/Inventory menu, transposing one subtool and then changing to the other subtool without touching the screen and replaying the recorded srokes. It works for each type of transpose, but not if they’re mixed together: record your Move transpositions, then copy them to the other subtool; then record the Rotate ones and copy, etc…

Cheers,

R

ho man that’s just what I needed.:+1: :smiley: :+1:

Maybe multi subtool transpose could be the next feature of ZB. :wink:

blimey, was just about to post that exact peice of advice. i ran across it in the tips section of 3D world magazine. bah. beat me to it. well yes. that is how u do it or even [Ctrl - 1] will replay last stroke. HAHA, good luck dustbin.

was looking for the same thing this morning :lol:

Amused idea. Perhaps changing the perspective will be more interesting. :wink:

animastur: Thanks for the advice, Indeed the angle will be changed for a better composition

Thanks to everyone for their advice so far it’s been invaluable and has made me realise how good it is here in ZBrush Central.

So for an update:

I finally got some time to do some work on this (I hate working two jobs :mad: )

So, here I have finally started the proud task of making the toilet for this scene.
First I created the basic shape sculpting a cylinder poly mesh.

I then used the previous sculpt to create an alpha brush which I then used to create the toilet seat.

And here is a preview of the toilet. Need to add some hinges and a silo to it.

Here is a quick test of the toilet and the arm.

Arm%20Toilet%20Test.jpg

To be honest I’m not happy with how it’s looking. I think I might go get the sketch paper and 2B pencil and rethink this through. Maybe a little creature rather than an arm… Hmmmmmmm

EDIT:

Oh! And I know the toilet needs some hinges and some holes where you skrew the toilet to the floor. It also needs a silo and a chain/flush.

I like the hand, but a little creature might be fun.

I agree with your last thought…a creature would be more fun, but the arm itself came out great. You could change it, but it’s not necessary. Great job on the toilet, and a very creative use of the alpha for the seat.

Nice toilet! That’s some creative modeling. :+1:

I’ve been following your post for a while, so when I saw the thumbnail I knew immediately what it was - dustbin1-uk has done his “toilet with arm”! :slight_smile: . The toilet looks pretty good. A little creature might be fun but I think the arm could work just as well. If you want to go with the arm I think it needs some work and maybe that’s why you’re not happy with it. Try putting your arm in the same position, palm facing down with the same vertical 90° bend at the elbow - can’t be done! The forearm is also very short (about the same length as the hand), whereas in a human arm it’s more like twice the length. Hope this helps.
Looking forward to more
Jason

Edit - my girlfirend was just looking at me very strangely as I sat in front of my computer holding my arm above my head trying to copy your pose!! I’ve discovered it can be done, more or less, but the arm has a twist to it that I think is lacking in your model.

Thanks for your feedback guys. I think what I’ll do is start to texture some of these models. As yet all of them have simply had materials and some RBG added and I think it’s time to decide on a colour palette and some lighting decisions.

I also need to start thinking about composition as I screwed that up in my concept sketch by choosing a bad angle. :o

In the mean time I’ll start sketching some gremlin’esk creatures and if any little critters look good, I’ll decide weather to loose the arm or not.

Oh! And I almost forgot the trick or treat pumpkin bucket! Best model that soon. heh!

Then once that’s all done I’ll start tweaking and posing Scared Sam (and give him some decent trousers). I’m possibly going to be clothing him as if he was at a fancy dress Halloween party when he encountered the creep from the toilet.

Ha! So much to do and so little time. :):+1:

EDIT:

Dondemaker - Sorry just saw your reply as my post went up! Sorry!
That’s it though! your right on the mark! the arm is not correct in posture. Thank you. And don’t worry about your girlfriend looking at you funny, my wifes looked at me that way for years. You get used to it! :smiley: