ZBrushCentral

Scale master

hello, when i use scale master, zbrush scale unify it sets xyz to 2, but it also changes the scale factor under tool exoprt. does changing scale factor affects how dynamesh or brushes behave?

if it affects it can i just manually set it to 1? or instead use unify under deformation? since it does the same operation but it doesnt change scale factor.

thank you

hi @kareen_kk and welcome there on ZBC !

in practice when using dynamesh you better had to use unify in deformation section to set the scale at 2 in Tool : Geometry : Size. Also when you import a mesh into ZBrush the scale factor is hold in the Tool : Export : Scale, that one is use when you export a subtool t gonna apply the scale value at the export, there is no relation with dynamesh.

In every case the best for ZBrush is a scale of 2, because like you say it gonna affect how dynamesh will slice the mesh and it can also affect how a brushes behave with the geometry.

hope it helps
Nicolas

1 Like

@kareen_kk This is normal. Unification sets the object “internal” size to 2. The export scale factor tells Zbrush how much to scale to coordinate values to export the model at the desired physical size. If you use ScaleMaster to set physical size then ScaleMaster | Unify adjusts the internal size range to 2 and adjusts the Export scale to keep them both in sync.

Perhaps an example to make it clearer. Start with a cube. Size is 2x2x2 (internally this is mm). Export Scale is zero since we have not given the cube a physical size. ScaleMaster | Set Scene Scale to 2 cm. Note that now the Export Scale is 10 since ZBrush internal size is 2x2x2 mm and physical size is 2x2x2 cm = 20x20x20 mm. Now Gizmo | Scale down by 50%. New physical size is 1 x1x1 cm and internal size is 1x1x1 mm. So the Export scale remains at 10. But Zbrush operates best at internal size of 2 so activate ScaleMaster | Unify. New internal size is 2x2x2mm. Physical size is unchanged i.e. it is still a 1x1x1 cm cube. To export to correct physical size the Export Scale has been reduced to 5 so that an internal size of 2x2x2 mm will export to a physical size of 10 x 10 x 10 mm = 1x1x1 cm.

Bottom line - it’s working as intended.

hth.

2 Likes