ZBrushCentral

Recreating Mars surface problem

I’m trying to create the best possible realistic topographic terrain of Mars. I’m using texture image / UV map / polypaint / mask by intensity. I’m not sure why but I’m getting these topographic ridges and that might be from the texture image. It might not have enough res? Not sure how to prepare these images. Can anyone help me with this?

Hello @marcos9999 ,

It is possible you are picking up some sort of banding from the image. If the image was low res, or had ever been compressed, there may be banding. In this case, you would need a higher res image from a higher quality source. Simply increasing the size of the lower quality image may not produce better results.

However, we also see this kind of effect sometimes from meshes that are drastically oversized or offset in the worldspace. What is the Tool> Geometry> Size> XYZ of the mesh? Is is drastically larger than 2 ? Likewise, what do the values in the Tool> Geometry> Position menu look like? Are there any particularly large values recorded in that menu–larger than a few points in any direction?

If the answer to either of those questions is yes, then using Tool> Deformation> Unify on your mesh may correct the issue.

Good luck!