ZBrushCentral

Question when adding to an existing sculpt

I recently bought a subtool to use in some projects and it had zero sublevels so I did the duplicate and mirror trick on each subtool and was able to get it UV mapped and exported to Substance Painter but, I later decided to add some additional details to the model.

The brush tool I am using says I need to freeze or delete the subdivision levels on the subtool I am adding to. I froze them, added what I wanted but the poly size is pretty big (35 Mil). How do I go about adding what I want, keeping the detail, subdivision levels, and poly count low enough to UV Map and export out?

Most of my sculpts crash the system because I am either A. not doing something correctly or B. I am so high in poly’s that the program cant handle the UV’s.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I am taking a few classes and learning along the way.

Hello @buck27 ,

UVs are best unwrapped and created on a lower poly mesh. Changing the topology after that point will break your UVs, so this should be done once the topology for your mesh is stable. Freezing subdivision levels will let you make a change to the base level topology and re-create your subdivision levels, but it will still break any existing UVs.

Texture creation and export in ZBrush typically requires a multi-resolution mesh with a low poly base with clean quad topology for the best results, and multiple levels of subdivision. If you are looking to sculpt the finest detail in ZBrush, pose, paint, or create and export textures, eventually you will need to transition to a mesh in this form.

The tools in ZBrush that only work at a single level of subdivision are generally intended for the rapid shaping of form. They are therefore best used earlier in a workflow, and typically fall off in usefulness once your form is stable.

The process for transitioning to a multi-resolution mesh and creating permanent stable topology is to retopologize your mesh, with ZRemesher or otherwise, into a low poly base form with clean topology, subdivide it multiple time in order to capture the incoming detail, and project the detail from the original high resolution mesh onto the new, using one of the various methods. Uvs should then be created for the permanent base level topology.

You can repeat this process at any time if you decide to edit your topology further, but this will require new UVs.

We don’t recommend working with UVs in the file until necessary, as they lock you to a topology which will limit the available ZBrush toolset, add a considerable amount of data to files with high resolution meshes, and provide more opportunities in general for things to go wrong.

If you are experiencing frequent crashing with a specific mesh be sure to check it for issues with Tool> Geometry> Mesh Integrity> Check mesh. There could be something fundamentally problematic about your geometry.

:slight_smile:

Thank you SPYNDEL! I did project onto the higher subtool at first. Later I went back in and froze the subdivision levels and added some new things to the sculpt. I did zremesher on teh new stuff and then tried to unwrap it once I thought I was ready but, no bueno, crash. I will mess around some this weekend and see if I can do something with it.

Ok, so nothing I do seems to work. I did get it to begin unwrapping but it seems to be stuck in a never ending unwrap.

Hi @buck27 ,

This is a complicated piece of geometry. If unwrapping in ZBrush, please read the UVM documentation in its entirety. It contains information you will need to understand about the limitations of the process, especially in regard to the sorts of tunnels you have here.

You would get far better and cleaner results fusing or projecting the barnacles and starfish onto the chest as surface detail rather than separate mesh pieces. Your polycount still looks too high to easily unwrap. If you want to unwrap all those tiny individual pieces as part of the same UV wrap, it’s going to require complicated polygrouping and cuts. There is no way to unwrap that as a single piece.

Good luck!

I got it!!!