ZBrushCentral

Question about Retopology and symmetry!

I’m trying to create an realistic dark elv, and therefore I want now to make a retopology for my sculpt, also to use HD geometry afterwards. Now my sculpt is already not more 100% symmetrical! Now the question that I have is a retopology always symmetrical aslong as the pose of the character is neutral? Or do I need do make a non symmetrical retopology for my character to made it properly?

BPR_Composite

Hello @Ninivade

If your model is asymmetrical and you want the resulting mesh to also be asymmetrical, then make sure symmetry is OFF while ZRemeshing. If symmetry is active during ZRemeshing, the resulting mesh will be symmetrical.

However, remember the topology can be symmetrical even if the surface detail isn’t. This will make your mesh easier to work on. ZRemesher won’t capture the fine detail–you’ll have to reproject the high resolution detail onto your your new mesh, and the asymmetrical surface detail can be projected onto a symmetrical mesh.

The only reason the topology would need to be radically different from side to side is if the form of the mesh (silhouette ) was drastically different.

Ok thank u for your fast and helpful reply, So if I want to retopology I will do it symmetrical, and would you recommend to do it in Maya? And when I want to pose or to animate my character later I would do it on the retopology which I would create now? So the pose needs to be neutral, and neutral means with open mouth or closed?

I think in production mouth is often open and eyes also, because this is the easiest way to animate?

And to speak about ZRemesh, if I won’t pose or animate, then I could also simply do ZRemesh right?

Sry so many questions!

If the character is to have a wide range of facial expression, generally open. But these are general animation questions that you could find better answers for from a resource dedicated to animation. Not every ZBrush user animates or even works towards digital render.

Animation often requires highly optimized topology. A figure being created for animation will often require manual re-topology for a very deliberate or efficient polyflow.

ZRemesher by itself will probably not create animation quality topology. You may need to manually retopologize sections or the entire thing, depending on your needs. You can manually retopologize a mesh in ZBrush, or whatever tool you are most comfortable with.

Simply posing a character for a static render does not require topology to be that exacting, and ZRemesher would probably be adequate for this.