ZBrushCentral

ProjectAll error

I don’t normally complain, but did something get messed up in the latest update using the Project All feature?

I know projecting detail sometimes gets screwed up near the edges of open surfaces, but I’ve never seen these “spikes” in other areas. In my screenshot, these spikes are appearing not only in random parts of the head, but also in the masked off area of the mouth.

The reason for projection detail is that I used GoZ to add an extra edge loop and fix the UVs for that edge loop. Reprojecting the detail coming back from GoZ had issues, so I smoothed the model and then tried projecting the detail from a ZTL containing the details. But now I’m getting these spikes.

Hello @gumby-guy

You’ve been fortunate :). These are not uncommon.

Sometimes this is simply caused by awkward geometry that the process is having trouble with. This video contains some hints for removing projection defects.

Some more specific scenarios that can cause this which you might want to look for:

• An undesired subtool may be visible in the subtool list, and contributing a problematic influence in the projection process. In this case I would double check that the eye meshes are not visible.

• The mesh or meshes you are projecting from may be too complex. This process understands closed (watertight) volumes the best. It may be necessary to simplify your projection source in that area if you have any 2D or overlapping geometry.

• You may be trying to project too far at one time. The gradual projection procedure described on this page may return better results, and allow you to more easily deal with problems as they happen.

• An area with especially fine detail may have geometry that is too thin or difficult to project onto. You may find it’s the case that not much actual detail is lost , and it would be easier to simply exclude those areas from the projection. Masking can be used for this purpose.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I fixed the mesh rather quickly because I had a Morph Target established without the detail. Reviewing Joseph Drust’s video, I should have played around with the Distance value. However, that doesn’t explain why I have spikes in the mouth area where it is masked off. Unless, the masking on the lips wasn’t 100% masked.

Do you know why the spikes on the side of the head look like a single vertex moved far away from it’s projection surface?

I always use a Morph Target because I know open edges are going to create an issue. I just wanted to make sure this wasn’t an issue that happens when projecting details on a layer. Thanks again.