ZBrushCentral

Pixologic Announcement - The Roadmap to ZBrush 2.5

ryan or Aurick,

if you could answer this question…what kind of machine (specs) did you all use for the demonstrations at siggraph…i think alot of questions will be answered.

If your saying they were uing a Mac onstage at siggraph please inform us. Anything positive would take a load off my mind. :wink:

Luv to see that happen

:slight_smile:

![Naamloos-1.jpg|400x300](upload://jN6ZJatu2gtenuFl4P6umkLvEvK.jpeg)

Well it doesn’t look good IMHO. If it were a simulations release aurick would have said something by now. The only time this site is quiet is when it’s bad news. :frowning:

…I’ve been over to this Modo site…maybe what’s going on overthere…whats keeping ZB so quiet:question:

I’m kinda new to this and I’m still thinking about the pro’s and cons of ZB and Modo. But what Modo shows is looking veeeeeerrrrry nice…

First post and hello to you all :wink:

Jamba Watubu

Don’t fall prey to Luxology’s Hype. They are very,very, good at it. Brad Peebler, formerly of Newtek, is a master at selling re-worked old technology with fancy sounding new lables. But Modo is mostly too little, too late.

Instead, keep an eye on promising Niche Filler companies (besides Pixologic), like NeverCenter and their Silo product.

I have purchased Silo and think some of the features, such as the topology brush are innovative.

But Modo, from my perspective, is still the best traditional sub-D modeler out there and I can’t stand to work in anything else after using it. If version 2 improves its handling of high-poly models as claimed I see no reason why it would not make a excellent primary modeler for anyone.

The rendering stuff they are working on looks pretty promising as well.

By my way of thinking, Modo, which can open and save LWO, OBJ and Maya asci, is the perfect companion to ZBrush for use with a variety of animation and rendering systems. It is what I use to block-in models for ZBrush and to manipulate and translate the finished models for use in Lightwave and Maya.

Clyde

Hehe did you seen the Siggraph video, people where applauding when this guy paints a nose red from a model…

Anywho, as they say it is made to also support other software he names Z-brush in particular. If you have seen the demo, then you know that the brush function can’t really hold up to the ones from Z-brush, the normal modelling functions seem impressive though, and it does looks like it can handle a very large polycount with textures, the scene with the gecko for example.

Modo is a great App; I have it, but the upgrade costs over $200 I think, and it’s no ZBrush imho. All the new texture painting stuff is really just old hat for ZBrush. ZBrush is far better at that than Modo is, and the ZB upgrade is free. When Mac users will see ZBrush2.5 may be over a year from now again, but I was probably going to upgrade my Modo anyway. Needless to say they are two different apps that are gaining some similarities as they grow, but I really wouldn’t say that Modo is trying to repackage ZBrush’s tools. If that were the case You could argue that ZB is trying to combine Maya’s smooth poly brush, and add deep paint features I guess. ZB is pretty unique, and Modo “as was said” is probably the most intuitave Sub-D modeler there is. I’m not complaining. :wink:

[](javascript:zb_insimg(‘17260’,‘Naamloos-1.jpg’,1,0))

Take a closer look…

1: The mac logo is backwards…

2: Look to the far right of the orange circle, a Mac logo on the wall…

I deduct a trick of the light…:smiley:

dude its a reflection from one of the other booths

thats funny :smiley:

In a picture frame; yeah I saw that. No word yet from Pixologic - which means bad news usually.

I don’t know how I feel about it. On the one hand if the Mac version of 2.5 is not released at the same time and we are not given any actual release date I will feel pretty crummy.

I do have a PC and will purchase a crossgrade license if I absolutly have to. The fact of the matter is though that I personally really hate working on PCs (no flames! just my preference!) If there were an x86 linux version of Zbrush2 it would make working on a PC workstation much more palatable an option for me. Thats all academic though since I dont think Pixologic has shown any interest in porting to x86 linux.

If the Mac version of z2.5 is going to be late I really feel that pixologic should consider dropping the crossgrade policy and just allow registered users access to installation files for both platforms.

Cheers,
Xarf

Hmmmm…I hope that doesnt say too much about the people watching :lol:

Looking at the comments about Modo vs Zbrush…I guess I’ll have to buy them both…oooops my wife wont like that :roll_eyes:

Watubu

Hey Guys -

That picture is hilarious! The Apple booth was to the right and behind us so that reflection must be from them. :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your kind responses and enthusiasm. :smiley:

I do not have the specs on the machine that we were using. I know it was a PC, hyper threaded, 2 gigs of ram and a fairly fast processor. :smiley: Also, remember that ZBrush does most of its work in the software so graphics cards are not that significant here.

As for giving exact details of the future implementation of any software still in development I can only ask that you remember your ancient greek philosophy class. Think of Heraclitus, “You cannot step into the same river twice, for fresh waters are ever flowing in upon you.” Software development is the act of white water rafting down that river. :sunglasses:

Once we make camp we can tell you all about it and the first post has our expected dates for reaching camp! :slight_smile:

On another note, lets not digress in this thread to discussing or drawing comparisons between different software packages. If you want to discuss the merits or comparisons please start a new thread in the community forum where everyone can focus on that topic. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all your kind words and support. :slight_smile:

see told you all :smiley:

I also have to say thank you for the hard work you guys are doing. “Small” presents every month and the big 2.5 around christmas. And it is still free for all ZBrush users, even people who started with ZBrush 0.9!! That is what amazes me.

Rest assured, I have my credit card ready for whatever comes next.

Keep up the great work.

ancient greek philosophy
do not drink down stream water
if the old man is washing his socks up stream.