ZBrushCentral

Other Apps: What advice can you give for MAYA?

Q: Can ZBrush import NURBS surfaces?
A: ZBrush will import the OBJ and DXF formats. Both require that the model consist of polygons. Object generators (such as NURBS) are unique to each program, and so they are not able to be imported.

Q: I’m trying to texture a model imported from Maya, but seams keep appearing and won’t take a texture. Fix Seams doesn’t work, either.
A: The problem is most likely that the UV coordinates are in a negative tile. See this thread for more info.

Don’t miss the ZPipeline Guide for Maya.

ZBrush 3 Threads

Normal Maps
Displacements in Maya 2008 - Tutorial by Scott Spencer

Supplemental Threads

Using ZBrush to detail environmental objects

Zatt v1.0 - A Mel script for Maya to automate importing and applying displacement maps for rendering with Mental Ray.

Maya Renderer

Settings for rendering displacements in the Maya renderer

Turtle for Maya

ZBrush>Maya>Turtle

Hi

I’d like to save my model in zbrush as an obj file. But all I get to save it out as is a zbr file.

Do I need a plugin to be able to save as a obj file?

thanks

Choose for “export” in menu “tool”.
That’s all

You must switch on the obj export thingy in mayas plugin manager-in preferences.

i import the maya obj file to zbrush but it only show half of my model
what is going on?

Hey to answer your first question, exporting a nurb model mesh to Zbrush should be simple as exporting a polygon mesh. make sure that the nurb mesh consist of Quads! Also make sure that normals are face correct direction also this also gave me an problem with importing. If that doesn’t work you could also convert your work into a sub-division or polygon mesh in maya. The only thing is that you would have to delete the nurb mesh base that is stored in the mesh itself. Literally delete it.

The issue with the seam, seems to be that the UV’s are not relaxed. If you already did a good UV mapping you should also take the points were you are seeming the seams and relax them. My process is this: Use ZBrush UVMaster to create UV Maps for certain place of mesh! Meaning I have different polygroups because of the placement of my UV Maps in Maya. Anything out quadrent 1 from 0-1 is going to be another polygroup. Use the UVMaster to create simple UVMaps, then texture using polypainting or ZappLink(PhotoShop, More Precise with texturing but more static with model). Then bring back model into Maya with all textures and seams and choose the areas with seam and relax those seams with with UV editor tools, then go back into Zbrush with update UV Maps from Maya and then go back into Zbrush and take another clone stamp of updated textures were the seams were and bring it back into maya, were you should see no seams!

an error occurred during instalation of GoZ for MAYA
one possible cause could be unsufficient permissions to write to maya instalation folder.
please run ZBrush as an administrator and try again to install GoZ for maya
help
help
zbrush 4 x86
maya 2009 x64

Attachments

a1a.jpg

a2a.jpg

Hey:) When i click on GoZ in Zbrush, it opens Maya but my object doesn’t open, Maya says “errors have occurred while reading this scene that may result in data loss what does that mean” please help me)

When i click on GoZ in Zbrush it says “Unable to save file” I wanted to edit single meshes in Zbrush by exporting them from Maya, but can’t send it back to Maya after editing and polypainting it in Zbrush,
can you help me please?