ZBrushCentral

OS X Lion and Zbrush

I have no issues with sculptris at all. It is just Zbrush in the main (to a lesser extent one other app).

I have removed everything to do with the wacom tablet by following wacom advice on how to do it properly. Then i restarted and reinstalled the drivers.

It does seem a bit better than before but I will report when i am sculpting in anger and not just a quicky test.

Mike

it hurts me to say this

i am having a huge problem with the new LION OS for mac using zb4

it moves slow. the stylus doesn’t react precisely with my intuous tablet

it was fine with the SNOW OS

i am now forced to work in bootcamp running windows zb4

please Apple. fix this asap

I tried to uninstall/reinstall my Intuos 4 Drivers, but I still get lag issues with the stylus in the viewport. I don’t haven any issues with any other sculpting application such as Mudbox or Sculptris, so it’s hard to say it’s the Wacom drivers.

I sure hope there is a fix soon. I can not longer use ZBrush on my Mac. I’ve had a lot of luck with Lion in that my 3D programs, Maya, modo, Mudbox work with no issues. Unfortunately, ZBrush has been the only problem with my OS Lion upgrade.

-Wes

Well, just installed ZBrush 4.0 on my MacPro Desktop. I use the Intuos 4 Wireless and I’m having no issues with ZBrush. So, it looks like it has something to do with the Intuos 4 drivers, which are different than the wireless, or the combination of my macbook, ZBrush and wacom. My desktop is fine.

-Wes

After further testing, I think this is an issue with running ZBrush on certain hardware under OS X Lion. As stated, I’m not having any issues with my Mac Pro Desktop. I didn’t have any issues running ZBrush on my laptop using Snow Leopard, so it must be a combination of Lion and certain hardware.

Here are my laptop specs

Core 2 Duo 2.53 Ghz
4 GB Ram
GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB
OS X Lion 10.7.0

I sure hope there is a solution. At this point, I can no longer use ZBrush on my home system : ( The wacom drivers are state 10.7, so this must be something with ZBrush. Mudbox runs fine on my laptop with the same Wacom drivers.

Wanted to add that if I make the window of zbrush smaller I can move the cursor around the screen smoothly until it reaches the main viewport in zbrush itself. Then it sort of pauses fractionally as you move the cursor around.

Cheers

Mike R

Hey,

I’ve created a support ticket with Pixologic. I’m not sure if this is visible to registered users, but here it is KSH-270178.

I did a google search and found that in other forums discussing 3D apps and Lion, users mention the issue with ZBrush as well.

Wacom Support

SketchBook Pro Issues

Cheetah3D

I sure hope there is a fix for this.

-Wes

:cry:
I’m having this issue too
did try wacom uninstall/install
didn’t help

intuos4 medium
macbook pro uni
2,8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
Mac OS X Lion 10.7

Actually came here to post about this as well - same Macbook specs as zbrushy and I’m definitely seeing lag when using my Intuos 2. So, I fiddled about a bit in the preferences and it seems like disabling MultiDraw (under performance preferences) gets rid of the input lag I was seeing. Not sure why that would affect it, but it does, at least for me. So, don’t take this as a solution, but give it a shot, since right now it’s just in “works for me” territory.

thank you for the tip i gave it a shot
maybe it got a tiny bit better for me but i have an impression the viewport navigation got worse. its subtle and my mind can be tricking me. all in all the stuttering is still there and very hard to use zbrush at the moment.
next time ill try upgrading my patience before upgrading system so fast :stuck_out_tongue:

I keep seeing mixed responses in this thread, some people blaming Apple, some blaming Pixologic, so here it is:

This is a Wacom driver issue, it doesn’t affect everyone, but you will need to wait for Wacom to update their drivers. Its been noted in a variety of other apps (Photoshop, Painter, act) when using Wacoms it lags.

I know its a pain for a lot of people but a few things to remember:

1. Never upgrade a work machine with a new OS immediately. Let the bugs get worked out first.

2. Its the developer of an applications responsibility to update their app, not the manufacturer of the OS. This is why developer previews are released for OS’s.

3. Even if a developer tests all their stuff in a developer preview, there will still be a lot of things that they can only detect once the application goes public. Since Lion just came out, its going to be a few weeks of collecting data to see why some users configurations aren’t working correctly and then a fix can be worked on.

I’m so dumb. Even after reading all of the issues with Wacoms/ZBrush/Lion OS X, I still upgraded despite all of the good advice not to. I read someplace that the wireless Wacom wasn’t affected and well…that wasn’t true. Now ZB is pretty much unusable except for with a mouse. SMH…uggh. I’ll have to go back to Snow Leopard if this isn’t fixed soon.

If you have an external laying around you can always install Lion on it and test the apps you use most before upgrading if you decide to go back to Snow Leopard.

Its a bit of a pain to do but may be worth it.

IF YOU’RE STILL RUNNING SNOW. GOOD

IF YOU’RE RUNNING THE NEW LION AND ZB4… GOOD LUCK

there is a noticeable lag with the performance especially with the cursor.

i contacted wacom. they blamed pixologic. then i contacted pixologic, and guess what? they blamed wacom. lol!

PLAIN AND SIMPLE… STAY WITH SNOW OS. WAIT WAIT WAIT FOR BOTH PARTIES TO ACCEPT THAT THERE’S A PROBLEM.

wait for a driver update from wacom.

I submitted a support ticket. Here is the response.

This is a known issue that is currently affecting only some people using Lion. We are currently testing to try and find out what is causing the issue. Wacom is testing as well.

It’s good news that they are acknowledging the problem. My guess is that we won’t see a fix until R2 releases in September (could even be after).

This is definitely something on the ZBrush end. I have no issues using Lion with Mudbox, photoshop or even Sculptris. My current workflow has been to go back to Mudbox, but lately, I’ve been messing with Sculptris and it works fine with Wacom Intuos 4 and Lion.

-Wes

My reply from the wacom folks was "Next driver version may ask for more time to create, and we do not know when this will be available unfortunately.

Stsay tuned anyway and have a very nice day…"

I replied “Hopefully it won’t take too long as £1,000 piece of equipment sitting on my desk not usable, is not exactly cost effective. :)”

I pointed out to them that the issue is seen in brush, adobe sketchbook pro (which is really unusable) and a couple of others with silly stuttering.

All using the cintiq tablet I own.

So yes I think it is a cross between the tablet driver and something Apple have done that is causing the issue rather than Zbrush etc specifically.

Mike

Reverting back to Snow Leopard now. After playing around with Lion, I have some buyer’s remorse. Not really too much there that I can see myself fully taking advantage of. Personally, I like some of the new features, but just because they’re kind of neat toys to play around with. Not because they’ll increase productivity or anything.

zbrush gets crashed when using spotlight!!! I didn’t have that problem before!! agh :td:

I to am getting that stutter/lag when sculpting…very annoying.

ahhhhh…clean install of Snow Leopard is refreshing.