ZBrushCentral

Offset after OBJ/FBX export on not symmetrical mesh (forced move of world axis to center of mass

I would like to export mesh (3d scan) from Zbrush which is not symmetrical. I would like to export it as OBJ/FBX. That mesh has been positioned with Gizmo Tool (move, rotate and mesh to axis). After it I would like to export it but after reimport of this OBJ or FBX I can see small offset. Its because its not hold my position in space. It`s moved without my permission (during export) to center of mass (becouse my mesh is not symmetrical).

Before export my export tab shows S:1, X:0, Y:0, Z:0. After reimport of exported mesh I can see 0.15715 value on X axis. If I will move my mesh with that value then it will come back to its position before export but I cant still export it to other application or even only to reimport it to Zbrush once again.

I think I`m missing something obvious. Any help appreciated.

before_export_and_after_export_with_reimport_back_to_Zbrush

Hello @mdesign

Zbrush re-centers an imported OBJ by default to make it easier to work with in the zbrush worldspace, regardless of the position it was saved in the OBJ. It is still in that position as far as the OBJ is concerned though, and should import into other programs in that position. Even if you re-import the obj into zbrush and export it out again, it should still be in the offset position in the OBJ file as long as you dont change the offset value and re-save it.

Thanks for your answer but no. Other softwares also sees that offset.

Ive found strange solution. It’s needed to create other tool f.e. cylinder3d and click “Make PolyMesh3d” which has got center point in world without hidden offset. Then it`s needed to click Tool>Subtool>Append to attach old problematic mesh to a new Cylinder (as a subtool layer). After that problematic mesh loose their hidden values. All subtools inherits their hidden values from most top tool.

This doesnt make sense for me but it works. Without that its offseted even in other 3d softwares. This feels for me like some bug not as a feature.

OK. You are right and I was wrong. Everything you wrote is true. Everything I wrote above is false. It`s only in Zbrush is offseted. In other soft is centered as it should. Thanks a lot Spyndel.

Is it possible to turn off this offset during import?

The weird workarounds zbrush has might be a reason for me to drop it. I just couldn’t get a simple mesh center to be correct when I import to be able to mirror it correctly.

This is how I made it work.

• Merged my objects into one in whatever 3D package
    *Export FBX
    *Import FBX and make polymesh 3d
    *Load any tool (cylinder), click make polymesh 3D.
    *Append that same polymesh 3D
    *Append your desired FBX made into polymesh

Dont ask me why this work, the reasons do not justify the workarounds.