ZBrushCentral

Nano mesh used in video game environments

I had the pleasure of working on Microid’s remaster of the 2003 cult classic XIII.
The project was a highly collaborative experience among the art team.
I worked on many levels as an environment artist. Predominantly modelling the Sanctuary levels.
I wanted to highlight the use of ZBrush’s Nano mesh to produce the foliage in the first Sanctuary level.
It was by far the easiest & fastest solution at creating dense topiaries, bushes and hanging tendrils.
I was able to increase and reduce as much foliage as needed. Whilst also sculpting unique patches of growth to spread throughout the level.

Thank you PlayMagic art team for the hard work we all put in together.

Thumbnail

SUNSET SANCTUARY

Lead Artist, World Builder & Lighting.
Nick Kasolos

Environment Art
Jonathan Shaller

The PlayMagic Art team

4 Likes

Great use of NanoMesh @Jonathan_Shaller :+1: Looks nice, do you have any "in between’ steps that can show the progression of the foliage by any chance? Glad you were able to take advantage :wink:
Jaime

1 Like

Thank you Jaime!
Hoping to be able to post some more process soon. :grinning:

That’s a beautiful setting! It makes you resent the goon walking around with a grenade getting ready to bust everything up. :laughing: Lovely work! :+1:

1 Like

Many thanks! @Spyndel

Really nice! Thats a lot of NanoMesh. Thanks for sharing!

-Joseph

1 Like

@Piggyson Thank you Joseph!
Your teams videos have been a great source of inspiration.
It’s nice to hear from you. Many thanks.
J

Awesome - thanks for sharing - look forward to seeing te wip shots :sunglasses: :+1: :star:!!

2 Likes

Hi folks. Just a little extra info showing a simple example of Nano Mesh in actions.
Using a single leaf plane as the Nano mesh brush.
Applied to a fairly poly dense topiary reference.
Nano meshes setting out of the box quickly generate some very good coverage along the object’s surface. The story doesn’t end there though.
Many more optimisation processes were required to make the foliage fit into an acceptable game performance.
@Jaime

NanoMesh_gif_01