ZBrushCentral

Morten's ChikiBoom-book

It is wise to use a certain amount of tact when giving critiques on other people’s art.
Your model is progressing well and probably worth more than the two stars previously awarded, if they were directed at the most recent sculpt. :slight_smile:

I have to agree with the others here, ive read a lot of posts in different threads from you mr MjTheHunter making "constructive criticism" about anatomy accuracy, and at some point i thought: "man, this guy has to be a real anatomy master" later on i visit your sketch book and personal page...wow, huge dissapointment. I understand your intention of helping others, but the way you do it is way too pretentious, if youre gonna make critiques to artists that are 1000 times better than you, make sure that, at last, you have some work to demonstrate you “so called knowledge” just knowing the name of every single muscle in human body doesnt make you a great artist...and constructive criticism is about pointing out mistakes just as good things, keep that in mind. In short: youre starting to be annoying, please STOP :confused:

I would make my own list of flaws from your most recent and anatomically inaccurate sculpt, (i know its an alien, thats always a great way to excuse flawed anatomy design :stuck_out_tongue: ) but ill suggest you a more iteractive way: just copy every list and critiques that youve made to others, and paste them in the same document, now read them very carefully while looking at your own work, im sure youll find 90 or 80 % of the flaws mentioned there, hopefully youll notice them and correct them, in the end, its always easier to notice errors in other people`s work than in your own, :lol:

Hope it helps, cheers.

I realize my approach to critisism may have been a bit harsh, and I’m not pretending to either be an anatomy master nor better than anyone here.

You have a good point :wink: It’s easy to get lost in your own details. And I’m not gonna say… it’s an alien therefore the anatomy can be wrong, by no means. Seeing as it’s based on human anatomy :p…

Appreciate it :wink:

I`m glad you got the point, cheers for that :+1:

So… I retopologized my character, took a while… But it was a great exercise. What can I say… 3D-Coat is… just amazing :)!

body01_02.jpg

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Attachments

body02_02.jpg

I’m going to agree with everyone else here. I was expecting some top row sculpting god given how you critique with such ferocity, and how I am disappointed. I think you need to collect all the crits you have made on other people’s work into a big text document, have a nice long read through them and apply them to your own work. That is not to say, of course, that your crits weren’t valid. One of the first things you will get taught at any good art/computer science/creative writing school or university is how to be critical. This involves seeking out both the good AND the bad points of a particular piece. I feel that this is even more important when critiquing someone else’s work. If you point out all of the flaws in someone’s creation without examining what someone has done well it can make the artist feel as though he’s wasting his time, or become resentful towards the critique. I have seen you comment COMPLETELY negatively on some really really fantastic work on here. All it takes is…

‘Ok, this proportion needs some work, but, I love the direction you are taking with the design’

Anyway, I think my point is firstly, practice what you preach and secondly there are some really fantastic artists on here that have taken a beating from you for no good reason at all.

Anyway, on that note. I do really like your cartoon sketches early in you sketchbook, however, the anatomy on this alien character really needs a lot of work.

As I’ve said, I didn’t really think about how the criticism I gave would be received. Yes I did mostly focus on the negative, which wasn’t my intention.
I did it in the believe that I could help people on the forum.

And… I’m very sorry my sketchbook wasn’t what you expected, in time I hope i can remedy that.

But thank you :slight_smile:

In the meantime here’s an update on the alien

body03.jpg

Very nice, i like the outfit style, the hard piece protecting “his parts” is cool haha :+1:

chest big or head small? neck could use some love. Im feeling the legs and face!
keep going!!:+1:

@ f roldan
:stuck_out_tongue: thx bru, glad you like it.

@ Gedn
Thx man :slight_smile: I was thinking he should be a tall guy, but i don’t know, maybe his head needs to be bigger ?
What are you’re whought regarding the neck, some stronger definition?

Ya I was thinking maybe some more definition in the neck, just my 2 cents

I think you’re right, I’ll get into that after this update.
In the meantime, did some clothing, accessories etc. and decided to make him an omni blade.

omniBladeSmall.jpg

Attachments

body02_05small.jpg

Im liking the progress on this one ! Could be just the angle but almost looks like he is going to fall backwards in the first angle of your last image. Again could be nothing.

Have you tried experimenting by lowering his jaw and just making his face longer? Just an idea !

Good job ! :+1:

Appreciate it :slight_smile:
He should be fine in terms of stability, I’ll post a side shot later.

Thx i’ll try it out :wink:

Hi! I saw the final piece on CGFeedback. Looking good! Btw, you wouldnt happen to be attending CGA at the Animation Workshop in a couple of weeks, would you?

Although not hyper-detailed like a-lot of things on this forum your characters have personality. Which is good!

@Guilemo
Thanks bru, appreciate it :D!
As a matter of fact… Yes :b you too!?

@Mr-NYM
Thanks man :D!
I’ll keep at it, still have a lot to learn!

Yes sir! I saw your username in the mailing list we got from the school earlier today. I recognized it from Zbrushcentral right away :slight_smile: I guess we’re going to be classmates then. I’m moving down on August 19th. Did I meet you when I was in Viborg for the interview and test? I was there Wednesday, April 6th, I think.

Sweet! :smiley:
Think I saw you at the test… Think you were sitting down in the left corner when entering the door?
Anyway, it’s gonna be awesome! :wink:

Spot on :wink: I stalked you on facebook, and I’m pretty sure I remember you as well. I cant wait to start. See you then!