ZBrushCentral

MORPH UV: Inserting a mesh during flat UV causes error

Hello,
I knew I had not use them, but I used anyway an IMM brush over the flat dog .
Then ZBrush said this:

Hi @thedust

The answer here appears to be the same as the old joke “Doc, it hurts when I do this”.

I can’t replicate a crash doing this, so it may be an issue specific to whatever tool you’re using. However, this is a preview mode, not a mode designed to be active during heavy active tool editing. I would expect issues doing this.

If you feel like its a bug and it happens with any tool, not just this specific tool, you can create a support ticket.

1 Like

Hi @Spyndel,
ahahah, I can see your point.
What I meant, ok, bug is a big word, the logic I used was: if morphUV gives me a message about it’s not possible to subdivide a mesh while it’s flatten, it should do the same if I try to insert a mesh with an IMM Brush, because ZB crashed after that, so, the code in charge to alert me was not working, if there’s code for that, so I thought about a bug.

The image I posted was created using the dog in ZB library, unwrapped really fast with UV Master, then I add a cog with IMM and then I morphed back again the mesh to the original, 3D version.
ZB crashed.

I’m sure I’m not getting the point that not everything in ZB can be done while in flatten mode, so I have to be more careful next time.
By the way, I just recovered one of file from this night test sessions and I just recorded what happens:

Ciao.

P.S. After the last message, ZB gave me some more error of the same kind and then crashed (after trying to recover the scene, which crashes ZB if I try to open it).

Morph UV is dependent on the model’s UV mapping which in turn is dependent on the model’s vertex order. Anything that changes the vertex order is going to be… problematic. Stay away from features that add or remove points because that by definition changes the vertex order.

3 Likes

Thank you Aurick, I understand that, the ancient problem while exporting obj files for blendshapes or other staff where IDs count.

I’m wondering if a warning message could be useful in that case.
I’m also wondering if new geometry could be yet added, but their IDs will start from the bigger ID value of the actual, unwrapped geometry (that goes in mask mode and so, it will be also preserved): in this way, no ID will be altered, going back from flattened would be done with no trouble and, for all geometries (gears, horns, teeth, whatever) added with IMM brushes, they will be simple translated in space according normal and point position of the closer vertex from the unwrapped geometry, like they would do normally.