ZBrushCentral

Monday Night Challenge #2

Here’s a WIP shot.

Cheers
Mik

EDIT
Here’s my final image.
Text was added in Photoshop, everything else was toonshader07.
No, I have no idea what he is feeding it either!
Okay, so he’s more of a superfreak than a superhero!

Ta.

Cool, Mik. What is the technique for getting the toon line at the edges? :+1:

I used the standard toonshader, I think it came with ZBrush (but you have to load it), with the following modifications to the material settings.

I’ll post an update soon.
Cheers
Mik

I thought I would give a few of my own observations. You may take them or leave them as you like. First let me start by saying this is NOT the hero I am working on. It is a test setup using a basic figure, some 3d primitives and a few recycled parts and is meant to illustrate what I am talking about.

Let’s start with comic book style art.
First There are basically three stages to comic style drawing that transfer well to ZBrush.

:large_orange_diamond: Pencil (or blueline) drawing. This is the stage in which the first concepts are layed out on the storyboard. It is at this stage that changes and adjustments can be easily made. The equivalent in ZBrush would be the basic modeling stage. Don’t worry about color or shading at this point. Focus on the geometry. As you have probably already noticed if your figure has to many angles or bumps on the surface you will get a very distorted toon shading. You can see this happening in Fouad’s post. The way to overcome this is by following the simple rule that less is more. If you add lots of muscles (or anything else for that matter) make sure they have smooth surfaces and that the lines are gentle, not angular and harsh (unless you are after that effect). The more “noise” you introduce into the mesh the more distortion you will experience with the toon shader.

:large_orange_diamond: Inking: This is the stage when the hard lines are drawn on the paper. Usually traced over the pencil drawing but some liberty is taken as well at this stage for changes etc. Also most of the hard shading is done at this time too. Shadows are actually drawn in. Later on during the coloring process color is used to enhance the shadow affects but the main “umph” of the shadows comes into play at this stage. The equivalent in Zbrush would be the application and tweaking of the material. The toon shader and toony7 shader are very good but to get optimum performance you need to tweak them. Try adjusting the graphs on both the S1 and S2 shader channels in the toony7 Material. Ambient and diffusion light settings in the material will have an affect as well. You can also increase the HDRI setting to brighten it up. Remember that even in the darkest of comics the colors are very vibrant. The shadows are very deep. It is an illustrative style you are after and it is very different from the typical ZBrush work that most people are accustomed to.

:large_orange_diamond: Coloring: During this stage of the comic the colors are layed down. Light and dark values are used to enhance the highlights and shadows that have been basically boxed in during the inking phase. Color blends are added to give certain tones a warmer feeling (skin for example). The equivalent for this in ZBrush would be the same…adding the color to your figures. Simply select the simple brush tool and a medium color. Set the RGB value to 5 or so and wash the color over the area you are focusing on. Flood it with the base color. Then change to a darker value of the same color and add the shading. Then change to a lighter value of the same color (or use a complementary color) and add highlights. You will be able to see the effects immediately since you have already added your material in the previous stage. No need to get fancy with color textures and such. The comic style is much more illustrative than it is painterly. Coloring is actually very easy once you get the hang of it. Now if you are after an Airbrushed look then by all means adjust your colors and blend them more to fit the bill. You have many options at this stage but I am focusing on what is shown in the image below at this time.

So how do you bring this all together? Well first create your figure, props, etc. Make sure all the surface areas are “smooth” and that you have good clean lines. Fill the objects with white. Modify your toon shader material and apply it to your objects as you place them in your scene (or just paint it over all of them after you have dropped them…doesn’t really matter). Then do you coloring. It helps to keep dissimilar colored objects on seperate layers when doing this. Set your light settings. The lighting is VERY important. You are striving for vibrancy in your render. Experiment with the lights! And there you have it.

This is just an abreviated description for drawing comic book style art and is presented for easy digestion. :smiley:

One other note of interest: Comic book characters are always portrayed as heroic and epic. The stance and pose of the character is vital in portraying the “character” of the character. When is the last time you have seen Iron Man posed in a slouching slovenly manner? Now you get the pictre…

Now bring on the heroes!! It’s Clobberin’ Time!!

By the way here is the modified toony7 material I used in the image below.

My Toon.zip

:smiley:

humm… google … heeelp!! :smiley:
I will to try to read .; slowly all thx for your sharing the guys…

*Edit

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads/user_image-1036006464dyq.jpg[/img]

same modele same texture but … mentat’s material… :d

*edit

here is one based on toonshader 7
some modifications after … I think it’s better. :smiley:

posture changed…

Regarding the stance and pose of Comic Book Heroes: There is also a “Heroic Proportions” guide that is different from normal proportions. I am referring to the proportional relations of size and position between torso, head, arm, legs, etc. I believe that Normal Proportions are a Man is about 6(?) heads tall, and Heroic Proportions are about 7.5(?) heads tall, for example. I’m not sure about my numbers, but you get the idea. It may sound like a subtle difference, but Comics and advertising work is often done in Heroic proportions because they look significantly better if you are trying to illustrate the ‘ideal’ man or woman.

Mahlikus: :+1:

Thanks for the correct numbers. (See next post.)
Yes, Dwarf or Juggernaut proportions. :slight_smile:

8 heads normal, 9&1/2 for hero/model but it varies sooo much it really doesnt matter. Some Thick, muscular figures can be drawn as 5&1/2 all the way down to 3 heads so go figure! Its all in the artist’s style. For comic stuff, its more in the lighting, camera angle, and facial/physical expression.
Combine that with good paneling, color theory, a damn good inker…ah…theres to much to think about…head starts hurting

Hi Fouad,

May I offer some suggestions?

For his Left arm…straighten it out a little and turn the hand into a fist.

For his Right arm…change the angle and rotation of the bend…tuck the elbow in closer to the ribcage and make the forearm and fist project out at about a 110 degree angle from that.

Give the entire figure more curvature.

Make the Left leg straighter with less bend in the knee.

Bend the right leg more…bring it in closer to the stomach.

Just some suggestions buddy. I like the costume. What is his name going to be?

argh!! the devil it drew on my superhero!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ok Lon.,

I thank you for these constructive comments, I will hold account of it.

humm… for name… I don’t know yet… may be … SUPERFOUAD, or FLASHFOUAD …BATFOUAD is good too … !!! :smiley:

FantomFouad!!!
:wink: :smiley:

Hi, I am a new user of Zbrush, and I am with a doubt.
I don’t get to find the “cel shading or toon shading effect” in Materials.
Please, somebody helps me.
Thank you very much. :confused: :confused: :confused:

in the materials section/pallette you click on the LOAD button and it will take you to your directory…select the materials directory and it should be there… toon 7 or something like that…welcome to ZBC

Great Stuff guys!!!

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 04, 2002 Message edited by: Mahlikus The Black </font>

How about adding a background Mahlikus? Very nice superheros by the way all of you. :+1: :+1: :+1:

David

The challenge does not allow for a backgroud Zerobudget but MtB can certainly “finish off” the image after the challenge if he wishes. :slight_smile:

Oh yeah! I am gonna finish the background after the challenge. In fact I am going to have two more similar creatures standing behind him. You know the typical Hero team pose! :wink:

This is just a concept… The title will be “War & Peace” and will feature a male and female hero team. This image was for color/material testing and does not include all of the modeling. Any suggestions?

I was thinking it might be a good idea for everyone to post WIPS here to get feedback on their projects. It is easier to learn while working rather than after the fact. What do you think?

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads/user_image-1036173744wrz.jpg[/img]

Final Concept??? Got to start on the concept for Peace…

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads/user_image-1036213603xly.jpg[/img]

First concept art for Peace…

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 04, 2002 Message edited by: Mentat7 </font>

I have nothing to add when it comes to 121…save the model needs a head. :wink:
J/K. :smiley:

The only thing that is catching my eye is the models left leg. Comparing the hip with the thigh and knee (all the way down to the foot) the rotation seems off. I wouldnt know how you could open up the hip to better suit the leg position. Maybe just a little hip rotation to the front…just by about 5 to 15 degrees. Thats all. You know what though, it isnt that big of a deal. Especially if you consider if it is a woman your making. Their poses are more graceful and dynamic…or at least can be. Looking at in now with this thought in mnid. Looks like a mid-dance stance. Very beautiful!
Also, that toonshader is amazingly beautiful Mentat. I have a question now…blush
Are there different toonshaders in there? By the Highlight difference from orange to the light blue metal…it seams so…but I dunno.
Pretty kickin stuff!
Cant wait to see more!

Actually Mal that character is War…the Male member of the team…the hip looks awkward because of the dingy cover looking thing I put over his groin…it covers the hip in the wrong place (and contributes to his feminine look along with the zsphere chest…). And it is only one toonshader…the rest of the effect is created with the use of lights and color.

I think it looks great Mentat… didn’t really notice anything wrong with the hip/leg… guess that’s why I’m no good at 121 ~s~

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 02, 2002 Message edited by: DLee </font>