ZBrushCentral

Midnight Mass - Monsignor Pruitt

Hey everyone, I wanted to share my animated project focused around a likeness study of the character, Monsignor Pruitt, from Netflix’s Midnight Mass. I’ve got the full project and the video available on Artstation here (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BX0d99), but will share some in-progress images in this thread.

I started off just wanting to make a simple rough likeness sculpt to paintover for a concept art piece, but got a bit enamoured with trying to achieve greater and greater likeness accuracy. The project escalated through costuming with the Priest’s outfit starting in Marvelous Designer and going through refinement in Zbrush. Surfacing pushed things forward further with texturing in Substance and fur/hair to round out the look in Blender. When I rigged the character in Blender to make the pose in the chair happen, I got more and more interested in making the whole thing move. I ended up storyboarding out a sequence, and building out the kitchen and recreating the chapel from the show for the final scene. After figuring out the animation for the character, lights, and background effects, I put it all together in Davinci Resolve, added sound, and produced some new music to match the tone I was going for. I’ve attached some of the in-progress images below!

2 Likes

I forgot to add this in the initial post, but here’s the direct link to the video!