ZBrushCentral

Mesh stretching on the one side of the model with the symmetry mode ON

Hi,

From time to time, when I work on the perfect symmetry mesh (mirror and weld) I get weird stretching on the topology on the one side of the mesh.

I work with symmetry on and that’s why I’m asking of the potential things that can cause it?

It mostly happens when I use some smoothing (I use Smooth Directional)

Do you have any idea why it doing it?

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Michael

A picture would be helpful here.

Also, are you certain the mesh is symmetrical?

Hi Spyndel,

I didn’t save the issue screenshot. Will post it when it’ll happen again. I zremeshed it with symmetry on so it should be symmetrical right?

If the mesh was symmetrical and you ZRemeshed it with Symmetry active it should be symmetrical, yes. You can be 100% certain following a Mirror and Weld however, so go ahead and do another of those along the relevant axis. It’s difficult to tell from your description, but generally when there’s an issue on one side of a mesh and not the other with symmetry active, you might suspect the mesh is off-center/not symmetrical.

As to your “weird stretching” issue, we’re really going to need to get eyes on that. It could describe a number of issues that would be easier to recognize on sight.

Thanks Spyndel! I got one of the example below:

Untitled-1

OK, I’m not sure how this could happen but, just to be certain, make sure that no points have become inadvertently masked by using Tool > Masking > Clear prior to the operation.

Otherwise I would just chalk this up to the use of the Smooth Directional brush. That brush is unique and CAN produce asymmetrical results even with symmetry mode active. Either avoid the use of that brush in this situation, or perform another Mirror and Weld after using it to make sure the topology on both sides match. There doesn’t appear to be any pressing need for its use in this situation over a more conventional smoothing brush.

If the issue only happens with that brush and no other, then problem solved. If the issue continues to happen with other brushes as well, then we need to take a closer look at your mesh.

Thanks Spyndel! I think the brush is the problem in this case :wink: