ZBrushCentral

Mermaid (sort of!) WIP

Hey guys,

Bit nervous about posting here amongst all you crazy talented people who I always admire whilst lurking in the background!

I’m currently doing a Creature Design class and this is what i’ve been working on…

Still adding detail at the moment, I have a colour scheme in mind too (vibrant fish patterns)…

Brooke x

Attachments

Screen shot 2012-04-12 at 23.37.51.jpg

endof12thapril2012 2.jpg

i like. the spindly hands really make it. your profiles look good as well.

Very cool start ! i like the design and the anatomy look pretty solid ! keep it up :+1:

LOVE THIS!
Great job! :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Very Cool!
Nice :+1:

Great work! Can’t wait to see the new polypaint job!

Very fluid and streamlined. Nice approach and attitude too. I look forward to close-ups and future figures!

really cool design man!

This reminds me of My Sea Slug Zskiff yet way WAY better on so many levels! I love seeing work like this. Keep it up and I look forward to your updates!

Cheers!

~MAH~

great job, really digging the creature design man!:+1:
Keep it going and looking forward to the final beauty render!
Cheers,

• Kenny:)

Nice design! I really liked it. :+1:

Thank you so much for your supportive comments guys! :slight_smile:
I’m thrilled you’re liking it…

Here’s a little update - going to start painting it soon and coming up with some kind of composition for the render… Hopefully will fix the tail in Photoshop, i’ve tried on so many layers to make it better and now i’ve ended up smoothing it out and leaving it at that…!

Hope everyone is having a splendid weekend :smiley:

Screen shot 2012-04-14 at 15.34.52.jpg

5Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 23.22.24.jpg4Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 23.20.40.jpg3Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 23.18.51.jpg2Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 23.19.51.jpg1Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 23.20.13.jpg

So, i’ve been playing with colour a bit - initially I was going to go with something really bright and patterned (which I still may end up doing!) but then I thought maybe that wouldn’t necessarily suit a quick little fish creature who would try not to be noticed and be gone in a flash, blending with the water a bit more…? Still unsure…

Anyway, here’s the progress so far :slight_smile: Probably going to experiment with some more colour in Photoshop before carrying on…

I think this is a wonderful sculpt and a lovely design.
As far as the color question goes I would look at it this way: some of the smallest most vulnerable fish are insanely colorful, some are poisonous and some not. Most of the large predators are not usually very colorful unless you start looking at things like octopi and squid, which can not only change color but are bio-luminescent in some cases.
Sea slugs are not only small (give or take) they are slow and some of the most outlandish colors you can imagine.
A lot of shy or reclusive creatures like octopi can change color to blend in with their background so well they are nearly invisible.
Its an neat subject that I could talk endlessly about but I wont. GRIN!

Anyhow, she/he is wonderful and I cant wait to see what you do next.

Cheers!
Mealea

Oh heck, I cant resist, they are WAY TOO COOL:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-aurora&hs=1ag&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&channel=np&q=bioluminescent&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1787&bih=804&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=VF-PT7eEAYbh0QGNpKT8BA#um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-aurora&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aunofficial&channel=np&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Sea+Slug&oq=Sea+Slug&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=img.3..0l10.40046.46393.0.46725.8.8.0.1.1.0.166.1027.0j7.7.0.RxcYu8uvgjo&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=a66c90342cb55ff&biw=1787&bih=804

Oh my god thats so cool!

Very cool! Its both creepy, elegant, and beautiful. The long fingers are a nice touch.

beautiful concept and just a beautiful sculpt aswell!:+1:
Really liking the polypaint, everything matches great!
Can’t wait to see the composite and the beauty shot, keep it up!:+1:
Cheers buddy,

• Kenny:)

I like it a lot too. just by looking at it you have an idea for how it moves in the water…it also has a LOT of personality…it looks very friendly and gives you a welcome feeling…kind of like the luck dragon felt like (not looks like) in the never ending story. i think the color you did is perfect too.

excellent work…can’t wait to see where this ends up.

Hey Brooke Its Nick from CDR2, looking good!! Keep posting!!

YAY! That’s my perfect combination for the kind of creature I love to do :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful encouraging comments! Definitely inspired to finish it :smiley: Hopefully in the next couple of days…

I will try and do another update this evening if possible, if not, over the weekend… and I will try and present you with a finished result!

Brooke x