ZBrushCentral

Mei, HMC 15 expressions

er…
fantastic subject and great execution, especially the 1st pic.
If I can say mine, I feel you put too much detail, losing the immediate and fresh feel of Ghibli’s work (I’m a huge fan).
I don’t like those wrinkly foldy bits of some expressions,
the 1st pic is much simplier, I think you should simplify the other espressions to achieve a more cartooy look.

:+1:

Amazing… So cute…

Top row!

Mei is such a great character and from my favourite Myazaki film too (well, it’s definitely up there with Kiki’s Delivery Service).

Fabulously realised in 3D.

-w

Me and my kids love this movie!

You did a damn good job…

You should redo it and make it into a gnomon vid.

Miyazaki San would be proud.

5 stars.

I’d like to point out that it’s very hard to create a 3d rendition of a famous 2d character and be faithful to the character’s look and ‘‘personality’’, without losing anything in the translation.

Well done.:+1:

[You might want to prep your 'folio for Disney]:wink:

really liked this one
awesome

I think it’s the first time I see a manga character in 3d that I absolutely love! she’s just uber cute :slight_smile:

I love the expesiones! Beautiful work.:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

:grimacing: Alrighty then, This just made my day, thank you all!

spaceboy412: Thanks! Yes, I agree with you about “in love”… I think it’s a little too subtle.

joxx: Thanks for the nice comment :smiley:

dustinbrown: Sorry I didn’t make that clear. I started sculpting on a basic mesh. That’s what you see in the wip images. Then I used Zbrush’s retopology tool to get a nice looking base mesh. I exported the base mesh into max and added the mouth interior, and eventually imported it back to zbrush as a subtool and reprojected it back to the original mesh using ProjectAll. I hope this answers your question. I never start with a base mesh 'cause I feel like it gets in the way of what I’m doing.

Plakkie: Thanks, I don’t know about totoro; he’s just a fur ball :slight_smile: But I always wanted to do a realistic Nausicaa, now there goes an impossible challenge :grimacing:

brettSinclair: Thank you sir. Have you seen your entry? It’s amazing. :slight_smile:

AgentEnigma/Etcher/alexleia/N8: Thanks for the nice comments!

Ville: Thanks. I really enjoyed doing the challenge, hopefully the next one will be as fun.

DigitalDreamer/Senior Assassin/nickz: Thanks guys! :smiley:

CesarDacolJr: Haha, that’s cool. Thank you. I might finish her if I have the time.

ShinigamiKiba: Definitely, thank you!

rasmusW: :wink: And thanks again rasmusW.

Renaud Galand: Thanks! I used zbrush layers to create Modeled morph targets. The rest of the movement, like the eyes, was done in max through a simple rig.

AndreaF: Thanks for the comment. I know what you mean. During the project I kept having to stop myself and ask “is she looking too human?” So I looked at some of the images of the girl from Monster’s Inc. I think they did a good job of adding detail yet still keeping her from looking too realistic. My main goal was to do that rather than keeping it too faithful to the anime. But I definitely understand what you mean. I had to wrestle with that a lot.

Sebcesoir/WHW_/Sinyendil/saltapiedras: Thanks guys!

acmepixel: I really hope so. Thanks for the comments!

Intervain: !! I am flattered :o

Excellent work!!!

the facial shapes are great but the rendering/shading make all things so beautifull ! totally awesome man, really inspiring work :slight_smile:

oh man, a zbrush naushika would be great indeed
go for it man!

Ah! From Miazaki’s Totoro unless I miss my guess. Wonderful work!

WOW - amazing work!!! Love the modeling and facial expressions. I’m not so sure she looks pleased in the pleased one. She looks kinda angry to me. But the rest of them are really awesome!!! Keep up the great work!

Later - Mike

Great modeling! as has been said; beautiful work on the expressions!

hahaha very exciting, and beautiful renders man.

Fantastic work! I really like the expression too, they really push her face to the extreme! And you maintain Mizaki (sic) style very well. 15 expressions sounds like a really fun challenge.

Great work i would love to see this animated with the blend shapes you did

Very good job. Awesome. Looking forward for your next coming work :+1:

Just awesome - You really nailed each one! I love it!
Congratulations…