ZBrushCentral

Maya or 3DS Max? (New to Forum)

Reason I added the New to Forum thing was because I am sure there were many posts of this in the past. I am putting this in the MAIN FORUM because it does relate to z-brush, I want to start my models in one of these programs, whichever people help me decide, I hear both are great and either are worth learning. Whichever I choose to learn, I want it to be best at helping me transfer it to Z-Brush to work on details and such. Which of the two would be best, XSI is also a choice if any feel it is better than both, but these two are ones I am looking at. I know some will say, hey, either, whichever you pick will get the job done! I am here to ask which one will get the job done better. If anyone remembers me, I am VERY new to the modeling scene, and just have been goofing around modeling in Z-Brush, but the Z-Sphere system leaves me looking for a different way to start structures.

So, 3DS Max or Maya?!

Like I said, I am sure there have been many posts on this before, but relate this, this time, to a begginer’s point of view, and what would appeal to someone new in the area, and young, which would be easier to learn and comprehend on his own, with no schooling but just tutorials and such! :frowning: One day I play on schooling in this area, but for now, all I have is my computer, and some money heh, and want to make the best of it!

Thank you.

Read my answer to this post. The same principle applies, regardless of which software is being discussed.

I use 3dsmax in my work, but been playing with maya before. You should understand that both are very :ex: complex apps, much harder to learn than zbrush since they are for modeling, animation and rendering. I would advise you to once again look at modeling with z-spheres, because it is a good and easy way around or to look at some great modeling only app like Nevercenters Silo ( only about 100 USD and comparable or better poly modeling than both Maya or Max -I use it myself) If you still need to choose between max or maya because you need it for a professional job, or you just want it the hard way, choose max for game development and maya for film effects.:stuck_out_tongue: good luck :wink:

Don’t forget to check out XSI from Softimage.
Lemo:+1:

I use Lightwave myself. Don’t know if you’ve ever considered it or not, but to me it’s a great program with a great renderer and animation package.
I believe Newtek and E-on software are still running their package special which includes Lightwave 3D 8.5 with free upgrade to version 9 when it is released, and Vue 5 Infinite which is a cool terrain creation and animation software. Both for under 800 dollars which is a far cry from 3DS Max that is around 3 to 4 grand and Maya even higher.
It all depends on what you want to use it for I guess. If creating assets for games, then 3DS Max seems to rule in that area. Maya second, then XSI.
If it is for personal use like a hobby where rendering is most important, then lightwave rules in my oppinion.
Also don’t forget about Blender, I’ve used that one myself. Their latest release even has hair particle generation which looks pretty good. It has it’s own internal renderer which is ok, but it can also export out to Yafray.
Best of all, it’s free ( open source software ).

If you want to buy a 3d application just to start a 3d model, then I wouldn’t recomend either Max or Maya. From a ZBrush point of view you can do all your modeling from scratch for the project a young beginner would need.

Look at freeware 3d apps such as Wings 3D or the new Blender 3D to start a model for use in ZBrush, if you feel it’s that important to start a mesh outside ZBrush

Give ZBrush modeling a fair trail first before rushing out and buying a 3D animation package (Max - $3,495 or Maya $1,999) US.
The Maya Personal Learning Edition is Free but has watermarks all over it.

Upham :slight_smile:

Yeah well like said before… if it’s just for making a base mesh i would try the demo of silo… very easy to learn great tools for polygonal modelling :smiley:

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am going to check some of this stuff out.

Thanks
Dan

Best thing to do is download the demos of the software. I know Maya has a personal learning edition which is basically the full version but with watermarks. I think 3ds has a demo and i know XSI has one.

Just get them to understand how well you cope with the interface.

Both MAX and MAYA are brilliant programs but not everyone is the same and one is better than the other one.

For me, i used MAX before and i just hated the setup of the interface, it seemed to jumbled up to me, i also felt it wasn’t as fast as Maya when it came to interact with objects.

With Maya, the first few minutes of getting the Personal Learning Edition, i fell in love. The speed, the complexity is just brilliantly set out.

So yeh, just get the demos and see which would suit you more.

But understand that 90% of film effect studios use Maya and more than half of gaming studios in America also use it.