ZBrushCentral

MaxMini.eu's sketchbook - meddling with toy soldiers

<style type=“text/css”><!-- br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;} --></style>Nice. Thanks for the clarification! <style type=“text/css”><!-- br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;} --></style>[FONT=arial]Toy soldiers

We’re running open project days on Fridays. Lots of fun, and opportunity to try new things. Here’s a piece Konrad did during a couple of recent sessions:
circusorc.jpg
Can’t wait to set a printjob with this one :slight_smile: .

Looking Great… can’t wait to see the print…

Keep them coming…

Great stuff!

I’ve been a tad silent lately as we’ve been crazy busy - we’re working on a whole army of miniatures and preparing for crowdfunding campaign for those. Here’s first preview:

[youtubehd]4gp-EIMEwYc[/youtubehd]

Lots of stuff sculpted already (organic features in Zbrush and weapons, vehicles in Rhino / Modo) - I have first prints and those turned out great :slight_smile: .

Couldn’t resist checking how the gobbos will turn out :smiley:

Our current workflow seems to work nicely - with Konrad sculpting in Zbrush, Kuba working on various assets and vehicles in Rhino and me modoing the project progresses nicely :slight_smile: .

Love your Gr8 work… looking forward to seeing the whole range…

That printer you guys have, rules by far…

Enjoy!

Great as usual!
Technical questions, how long did it take to print the models on this last image? Just curious :slight_smile:

@Totyo: I’d need to check printjob files, but my guess is that it was around 12 hours or so (will look into it). Yeah, kinda makes you chuckle when you hear the term “rapid prototyping” :smiley: . Basically you set all the printjobs at the end of the day, before going home, and leave the machine working for a night.

Love the days like today - first orc models for our army set landed on my desk. Will post ZBrush screenshots later on :slight_smile: - love the job Konrad did on those !
orc_prototype.jpg

Przemas: thank you for the information. I know that such printer are really slow. Quality and details have a cost which isn’t only money :slight_smile:
Anyway, great job on your figures!

Here’s the promised Zbrush screenshot :slight_smile:
ORK_Render_4web.jpg

Thanks for the post on your FB wall Pixologic :slight_smile: !

As the launch of The Green Alliance Army crowdfunding campaign gets closer I’ve written a short article on progress so far:

While working on it I did a quick (occlusion effect based) render of some of the basic models in Modo. As usual all the sculpting done in Zbrush, with modeling of some assets and vehicle done in Rhino:

You’re welcome :slight_smile:
I guess you will post an update in this thread when you will launch the Kickstarter campaign?

If that’s not against forum rules that would be awesome Totyo.

I’ve been asked to clarify one thing - each time I’ve written that something has been done by Pawel I meant Pawel Kazube Laskowski.

As soon as it involved really ZBrush in the Kickstarter project, it’s not a problem. Right now, another kickstarter project is in progress, involving ZBrush, and it has been shared on our social medias :slight_smile:

Hi looks great, I was wondering what kind of 3D printer they used for your model.
The resolution is amazing !

@Totyo - that’s awesome! I’ll propably ask before posting, just to make sure :slight_smile: .

@Ronald - in the studio we have a Solidscape printer (as mentioned a couple of times in this thread :stuck_out_tongue: )

In a meantime - another 3d print straight from printer, just after dewaxing (so the model is still wet). Sculpted entirely in ZBrush :slight_smile: .

turbany.jpg

Very nice sculpts! I really love to see these come to life in the 3D prints.

I do have a question about the size of the connector support structures, are those the final sizes that ship to the consumer? If so is the consumer suppose to cut the sculpts from the support structures and then assemble them? I don’t doubt that this is the process but where they connect to the base seems rather large to me in comparison to me for model kits that I have used in the past. (I really haven’t messed with too many.)

So I am just curious about your thoughts on how to assemble things correctly as an artist when you are making kits like this that will become consumer goods.

Again, really nice sculpts! :slight_smile: And thanks for sharing process information with us all! :slight_smile: Very kind of you!

@nickz: my apologies for not getting back to you sooner.
The sprues on those bits won’t be an issue. A cylindrical sprue connects to a ball joint (not visible on the pic) as many of the models have ball sockets. Even if you cut a tad too much it won’t cause any issues as the area will be hidden in the ball socket:
balljoint.jpg
The sprues should be big enough to let the material (resin / plastic etc) flow nicely and fill the mold cavity.
So it is not down to howto make smallest sprues possible. All in all it all comes to figuring out howto connect sprues and plan split lines so they won’t cause issues on the final model and will be hidden as much as possible.
Some minor places to cleanup are unavoidable , but assembling models, preparing them, painting are parts of the fun. In this matter miniatures hobby , no matter whether we’re talking about miniatures for collectors or for wargames, are not different from scale models :slight_smile: .