ZBrushCentral

Massive changes with STL files

Ok, so I got all the update done to 2018 and have all the plugins. But the strange problem I am having is I import a file that lets say is 26,411KB. I do a couple small edits to the file. Not changing the actual size. But then when I export it the file is now 2,221,401KB. And that creates the problem of a file print time going from 8 hours to 27 hours. How can I import and export it keeping it pretty close without losing the details and causes rounded edges to become flat and unusable?

Presumably you have increased the number of polygons the model has? You can reduce the number without losing detail by using the Decimation Master presets (in the Zplugin palette).

If you want to keep the file size the same then make sure you don’t change the polygon count - don’t subdivide the model or use DynaMesh.

Note also that ZBrushCore (and ZBrush) display models without rendered smoothing, so models may look a little different to how they look in a different app but you are seeing the actual polygons (which is what you’ll get from a 3D printer).

That is the strange thing/problem. I did nothing to the poly count. Didn’t increase or decrease. Made a couple corrections using the ClayBuildUp, Move and smooth. Then Exported the file and that was what I got. Tried importing one, didn’t do any changes, exported it and the file size was again nuts.

That’s certainly odd behaviour and not something I have come across or heard of before. Could you possibly share two files that exhibit this behaviour (an original STL and the same file exported from ZBrushCore). For large files you will need to use a file sharing service such as Dropbox. That would enable us to take a look and see what is happening.

Thanks,