ZBrushCentral

Masking problem

Hello,

I’ve recently started to learn Zbrush and currently this is my 4th project . When i try to mask different areas from the sculpt the masks looks different from the others projects I’ve done (Until now it has been that dark grey, with no frame showing). What can i do to make it look like before?

Thanks and I hope that the screenshots i’ve taken are helpful.

Hello @Iso23!

Can you describe the manner in which you are applying the mask to the mesh? If you are, for instance, using the “Mask By Feature” function that is exposed in your screenshot, it could produce an effect like this, as it creases the borders of various mesh features, and can result in long thin border masks depending on your topology.

You can ctrl-mouseover the various masking options to read tooltips on what kind of geometry they target.

If you’re trying to mask specific polygroups, it would be useful to commit the various Polygroup Visibility and Masking shortcuts to memory. It makes things much faster.

Also, be sure to grab the upgrade to Zbrush 2020. This is free for registered users.

You’re using the Bump Viewer Material. This renders any gray as bump. Switch to a different material and all will be well.

Thank you! To be honest, I’ve been only concentrating on learning how to use efficiently the keystrokes and to get a somewhat decent sculpt only using different brushes, but I haven’t started yet the lesson on polygrouping, I just have a general idea of what polygrouping is without using it yet on my sculpts. Apparently I just had to switch the material and the mask would just show like before .

Thank you! I didn’t notice that I switched from the basic material i’ve been working with before!

1 Like

Good catch, Marcus!

1 Like