ZBrushCentral

Mask and guide lines save

Hi! I wonder if there is any way to somehow save your mask selections and zremesher guide lines?
Because, when I ZRemesh one time the guides desappear, is there any way to reapply the same guides to ZRemesh again? Same thing with the mask. Plz

Hello @Yerus

Mask selections yes, but it’s complicated. ZRemesher guides, not as far as I know–mostly-- but it mostly isn’t necessary.

Re: Masking

Click to read--collapsed for thread readability

The first resort for being able to quickly hide or mask pre-determined areas of your mesh are Polygroups. Once you have defined polygroups, you can hide or mask those areas of the mesh through a series of shortcuts, often with a single click. Memorize these as quickly as possible.

Polygroups are dependent on your mesh’s topology, though. If you’re still in a stage of your mesh creation where you are frequently making large changes to its form and topology, for instance with dynamesh or Sculptris Pro mode, this will alter any polygroups as well. Polygroups are something you would define one your mesh’s form becomes more stable. Temporary polygroups can still be useful though, and dynamesh can preserve the general shape of a polygroup, even though its topology will change.

For complicated masking on high poly mesh, masking can be saved as an alpha or a texture that can be re-applied to a mesh and then converted to masking. This will require your mesh to have UVs, and for those UVs to remain unchanged. So again this is something that you would use once your mesh’s form and topology are mostly stable.

The exception to this is Polypaint. Polypaint requires no UVs, and can be converted to masking. So assuming high enough resolution for effective polypaint, you could actually paint the areas you’d like to frequently-re mesh (or mask those areas then convert the masking to polypaint!), and then either convert that paint to a polygroup, or directly to masking.

Re: ZRemesher guides.

Click to read--collapsed for thread readability

I’m not aware of a way to easily recall these guides outside of saving your work prior to ZRemeshing, and Ctrl-Z until you get the results you want. There are a lot of interesting things you can do with curves, though, and it’s possible I’m not considering something. There are also probably scripting avenues to explore, ways to record strokes and play them back on a mesh, but this is outside my area of expertise. Also not worthwhile, in my opinion.

ZRemesher guides should not be that complicated that they cant be easily re-drawn. The more guides there are, the less effective they become. They should be used as general suggestions, not a complicated roadmap. If you’re spending a lot of time drawing complicated guides based on a lot of ZRemesher trial and error, in many cases it would have been faster to just manually retopologize the area with exactly the topology you want.

You can use polygroups to create ZRemesher guides, but if you have polygrouping of that quality, you already have a better way to control mesh topology flow than ZRemesher guides.