ZBrushCentral

Marvel's Avengers - Cinematic Art

Some of the cinematic art I got to contribute to the Marvel universe recently. For the Marvel’s Avengers game, I was mainly responsible for the modeling and texturing of cinematic sets and assets. All modeling done with ZBrush, texturing done in Substance Painter. For more images and high res videos: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/D5dZ0o

Spaceship modeling / texturing

Spaceship modeling / texturing

Tank destruction / Blendshape Modeling

Environment & Vehicle Destruction Modeling / Texturing

Taskmaster Truck Modeling / Texturing, Blast Hole Damage State: Modeling / Texturing

Taskmaster Truck Modeling / Texturing

Helicarrier Modeling / Texturing

Full Modeling / Texturing: Foreground Building, Transamerica Pyramid; Scene Assembly, Matte Painting

Kamala’s Room Modeling / Texturing

Bruce’s Lab: Modeling / Texturing

Jarvis Modeling / Texturing

Tony’s Trailer Modeling / Texturing

Modok’s Mech Spider Modeling / Texturing

Modok’s Mech Spider Modeling / Texturing

Post-credit Scene: Environment Modeling

Post-credit Scene: Environment Modeling

11 Likes

Wow - so you modeled all these environments with ZModeler? Awesome!! :sunglasses: :+1: :star:!!

1 Like

Thanks Etcher! Yes lots of ZModeler… also plenty dynamesh sculpting > ZRemesher workflow.

1 Like

Fantastic @JamirBlanco :clap: thanks for sharing!
Jaime

1 Like

Very cool! You were certainly busy with this project. It turned out great. Now I think I may need to go get the game. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Jaime :slightly_smiling_face:

Haha, thanks man :slightly_smiling_face:

Stunning work! I love that all the modeling for these was done in zbrush.

1 Like

Very nice! I loved Kamala’s room in the game; great stuff!

-Joseph

1 Like

Thank you!

Drust!! Thanks man, appreciate the comment.

Great job Jamirblanco ! Certainly Z Brushes typical indulgence in astronomical polycounts had to be curbed for a game. How did you guys handle the reduction ? Did you use Z Brushes Decimation Master plugin for the hard surface stuff ?

Thanks Zzeebee. There were a few approaches to this… One was like you said, using decimation master to get things pretty low poly and baking the high poly down to that. This worked well for hard surfaces like the mech spider and hard surface enviros.

There was also the ZModeler approach. For a lot of assets I created a decent base in ZModeler first, using creasing and supporting edges to define hard edges when subdividing, then it was just a matter of sculpting all the highres detail and we already had a low poly clean mesh as the base.

Then there was ZRemesher workflow that ended up working pretty well. This was just a matter of duplicating the high res sculpts, ZRemeshing the duplicate (using polygroups and creasing to define areas we want ZRemesher to keep edgeflow if needed) and this would yield a pretty good low poly pretty quick.

The other way was just to bring in decimated versions of the high poly assets into Maya and using Live Surface and the Modeling Toolkit to retopo and generate new clean low poly versions of meshes, then baking the high poly info down as well.

Cheers,
Jamir

Thanks for the detailed breakdown ! I am trying to avoid retopo by hand as much as possible because it seems so redundant and time consuming ( of course it one of those things that just have to be done ), and so I am very happy with the huge improvements on the ZRemesher in the last few versions of ZBrush. That view of the Golden Gate Bridge is epic !

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to pick up this game! The cinematics got me hyped

1 Like

No problem! Yes the recent ZRemesher improvements have been absolutely huge. I am constantly being reminded of how amazing it is every time I use it and think it won’t do a good job and instead ends up doing an amazing job.

And thanks! That was one of my favorites to work on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha thanks Kingsley, it was fun working on them. The cinematics are one of my favorite parts of the game but that’s a bit biased :slight_smile: