ZBrushCentral

Liquid: New ZPlugin

Many of my thanks!

This may sound strange, but I am running Zbrush 3.1 under Vista x64 and was installing different plugins and trying them out, but then removed them all to clean up my system, but Liquid stuck around. What I mean is after deleting all the files under ZStartup\Zplugs pertaining to the liquid plugin (and all the plugins for that matter) I could still see Liquid in the ZPlugin menu in Zbrush.

Now I know Liquid doesn’t work in Zbrush 3.1, but this uninstall problem took me hours to figure out, and I hope someone can offer me some insight into what happened. It may be a Vista problem, or maybe Zbrush.

OK so get this!!! Zbrush can see files on my PC that windows can’t, and I am not talking about hidden files that you can make visible by changing some windows settings. The two files that were invisible to Windows Vista were Liquidv2.zsc, and in the liquidData directory the currentConfig.cfg file.

So after over an hour of digging around the Zbrush installation directory, the registry, uninstalling Zbrush, and re-installing (re-activating) and deleting the entire inner contents of the Zbrush folder the Liquid plugin menu still showed up, so I started looking at my Config files under Preferences > Config and I noticed I could see some old config files that I had deleted through windows explorer. I did everything I knew how to (I’m pretty advanced/Worked at Microsoft) to see those files, but Vista couldn’t see them, probably because I deleted them (but they were still half there because Zbrush could see them and was loading them up).

SO after figuring out Zbrush could see them I use the Preferences > Config > LoadIU option to get into a browser dialogue box and right clicked to select the delete option on each file. Then I restarted Zbrush and no more Liquid menu under ZPlugin.

Now I am guessing it was a Windows Vista Zbrush quirk. If I would have totally deleted the Pixologic directory then I think all the hidden files would have gotten deleted, and when I re-installed Zbrush I wouldn’t have had the problem, but who knows…

Anyone else experience anything like this?

I am not using ZBrush on Win Vista but the soultion could be that somewhere files had been copied to another folder. A specific folder you could look into could be e.g. C:\Users<username>\AppData and then Local or Roaming including the subfolders. Usually you will find many folders and files from Apps you use in there. Maybe the two files you look for are also in a folder relating to ZBrush. Hope this helps.

voolger

No I checked that, and there were no files there. Besides I found the solution if you read my entire post (the hidden files I deleted solved the problem). The main point was only Zbrush could see these hidden files (Windows couldn’t).