ZBrushCentral

Layer recording makes subtool turn black

Hi, in my file I have just one subtool, when I set a new Layer in the Layers menu under Tool the subtool turns black (a silhouette), so I can’t see any detail or sculpt any more. When I stop the layer recording or delete the layer it turns back to normal.

Things I’ve ruled out as the cause:
It’s not the switch colour feature (V hotkey) - it has the same effect as that but that’s not what’s causing this. Hitting V does nothing while the problem is occurring.
It’s not masked, it’s a fully flat black silhouette.
I’ve done a Fill Object with multiple different colours and materials and the problem persists
I’ve restarted zbrush and reopened the file.

If anyone’s had this before I’d love to hear what causes it and how to fix it.

Hand02.JPGHand01.JPG
Thanks,
Mike

That’s very odd. Is it only that subtool? And are you on Windows or MacOSX?

Also, something you might try:

1. Save the project so you have a back up.
  2. Press Tool>Copy Tool.
  3. Open a different project such as the PolySphere.zpr from Lightbox.
  4. Press Tool>Paste Tool.
  5. Try Layer recording again.

This happens to me when I record a layer with subdivision on my model.

I had this problem too, but deactivating Dynamic Subdiv fixed it.
Thank you @Daniel_Mondor!

2 Likes

I was struggling with this issue.

Did everything mentioned above with no success.

What eventually fixed it for me was that I filled (Color->FillObject) the model with color and material (Mrgb) and then added the layers. Seems like the material of choice did not matter but I did SkinShade4 and FlatColor to be exact.

This is very random and might no work for every case but hopefully this might save someone. Lots of bugs with them layers.

Specs: Windows 10 with Zbrush 2022.0.5

1 Like

I had the same issue with the other solutions not working either, this is the only thing that worked for me :slight_smile: (Make sure you add the colour and material with no layers on!)