ZBrushCentral

Laggy ALT ExpressKey

Hello everyone,

I’m reaching out here, because I didn’t find the solution or maybe I didn’t use the right wording to resolve this issue.

I’ve got a very annoying problem with ZBrush, Wacom ExpressKey and the ALT shortcut, it’s not a blocker, but it’s drivin’ me crazy.
So when I’m using ExpressKey (and I’m using them a lot) with Zbrush, I have to bind the ALT key modifier to my wacom ExpressKey remote, or on my cintiq companion ExpressKey.

Here is the deal: I often have this little square display “Alt” feedback on my screen when I’m using the shortcut. The display feedback is not a big deal, I can live with it, but the thing is that every time this feeback appears (and this is very often with the Remote) I’ve got like 1 sec lag (sometime a little bit more) before the action I want to perform start to work.

• Panning: starting to drag my pen on the screen - 1 sec freeze - then it start to pan.

• Sculpting minus: start a stroke - 1 sec freeze - then it start to sculpt. But sometime with the sculpt, it can be worse because it’s like, it accumulating actions, and then I’ve got an overkill substraction brush stroke.
    So I really don’t know if it’s something from Wacom, or Windows 10 taking over with the way it handle the pen tablet thing. But this is awful to work with.

I’ve found a little workaround to get rid of this “Alt” feedback: I’m pulling away my pen from the tablet while I’m maintaning the Alt key, and I’m good for the next like 10 actions and then I’ve got a lot of chance to see it comming back.

So, if someone know how I can get rid of this thing forever I’ll would be gratefull!

I’ve done a screenshot of this Alt feedback thing. Hope it can help.

Thanks a lot!

(And yeah FYI: I’m running on Win10, ZBrush 2019.1 (but the issue was here in the previous versions), and I’m using either a Cintiq 22 or an old Cintiq Companion 2 (also running on Windows 10))

Alt_issue

Hi @god3ila

A new version of Zbrush (2020) was released this week. Always be sure to be using the most up to date version before reporting issues.

From your description, this sounds like an issue with your tablet/tablet software, not Zbrush. You’ve said the issue doesn’t occur until you try to use the Express Key feature? Perhaps investigate resources dedicated to the support of your Tablet for information on this.

There are a number of Windows features that can cause lag with tablet strokes, however. It’s usually a good idea to disable Pen Flicks, or any press and hold features in the pen settings.

Right-Click navigation in Zbrush can reduce how often you need to use the Alt modifier as well for a possible workaround. This must be enabled in the preferences. I have, on occasion, also assigned the ALT modifier to the pen button without any issue.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer.
Yeah for sure, this seems to be related to the way my hardware is communicating with ZBrush, but because it only occurs with ZBrush (certainly because of the way the ALT key is often pressed) I hoped that someone else encounter this bug :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll check for the things you’ve mentioned and see how it goes.

Thx !