ZBrushCentral

Kris "Antropus" Costa's Gigantic Art Dump

Hi there.

I’ve been away from forums for a good while, mostly posting on my Instagram ( www.instagram.com/theantropus ), Artstation ( www.artstation.com/kriscosta ) and Facebook. But this new ZBrushCentral looks too sweet to pass!

So here is a bunch of personal work I’ve been working on since mid 2017. They are all WIP and I keep rotating, working a bit on each before moving to the next, then repeating the circle while introducing new work in a way that never seem to end. But it’s my happy place, doing my own work, so I will keep on it until I can 't anymore. There are also old pieces I am slowly revisiting. Everything modeled in ZBrush and rendered in Maya/Arnold, except for some very obvious ones, which are screen captures from ZBrush.

Everything modeled by hand and hand painted using polypaint (HD geometry mode). No images used as textures, no commercial alphas or brushes, no blueprints or scans of any kind. I use enough of those in my professional job.

The Oracle:
0001B_result 0002B_result 0004C_result 0009B_result

Werehyena:
0001_result 0002%20copy_result 0003%20copy_result 0005%20copy_result

Roy (based on James Bama’s painting):
0003_result 0005_result 0008_result 0010_result

King Tang:
0001_result 0002_result 0004_result

Chief Sitting Scorpion:
0003%20copy_result
0001%20copy_result 0002%20copy_result

Michelangelo Portrait (early stages):
0000_result 0001_result 0002_result 0003_result

Hellboy Toon:
0001%20copy_result 0002%20copy_result 0005%20copy_result 0007%20copy_result 0009%20copy_result 0011%20copy_result 0012%20copy_result

Hellboy:
0010_result HellBoyL_Template1_result
0006_result 0007_result

Goatboy:
Goat1

Giger Portrait (early stages):
Giger7dBW_result
Giger7i_result Giger7j_result Giger7k_result

The Monster:
0001_result 0002%20copy_result 0007%20copy_result 0008%20copy_result 0010%20copy_result

The Faun:
0001_result 0002_result 0003_result 0005_result

Eyes Wide Shut:
Render2_result

Dick Smith Portrait:
Dick113_result DickPedestal2b_result DickPedestal3b_result 0002_result Progress2_result

Devil-ish:
ZB1_result ZB2_result ZB3_result ZB4_result

Alex Grey Quick Sketch:
AlexGrey1_result AlexGrey4_result

Rick Baker Portrait:
RickArtstatio8_result RickArtstation1_result 0022_result 0026_result
RickArtstatio6_result RickArtstatio7_result

Stan Winston Portrait (working on it currently, as the subject of my online class on portraiture):
Session4-1_result Session4-2_result Session4-4_result

Generic Teeth:
Teeth1_result

I hope you enjoy and congrats Pix and team for the awesome new house!

-Kris

19 Likes

WowY

1 Like

Outstanding Kris, admire how you are able to capture that “traditional” clay look :clap:small_orange_diamond:clap:small_orange_diamond:clap: so damm real…and the fact that these are hand modeled, hand sculpted and polypainted! Your use of HD Geometry and how/where you place your brush strokes is remarkable, you are capturing fine details that make your models ‘uber’ hyper realistic…every piece I’ve seen from you exudes a tremendous amount of passion. I’ve been a fan since I first discovered your works loooong time ago:smile:…and still amazed at every project.
Muito respeito.

Jaime

1 Like

Thank you so much Jaime!!! :pray:

A lot of awesome stuff there! Top artworks, Kris!:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

1 Like

well snap :smiley: You definitely don’t play around hahah Fantastic works!

1 Like

Holly crap!!! that’s some astonishing CG!!!

1 Like

Thank you so much, man! Love your work!!! :slight_smile:

You are so silly. Your work was great back then and you only got MUCH better since. Thank you Mag!

No words here, just admiration. Congrats!!! This should be top row :+1:

1 Like

A true master sculptor. I wish I could learn from you. So impressed.

1 Like

A real treat catching up with your fantastic work.

Once perhaps it was evil children manipulating kangaroos into a life of crime against candy vendors - today you tell stories stories still in capturing essence that one can imagine breathing.

1 Like

Madness… let me go and find a cave now . Thanks for the inspiration

1 Like

Thank you so much!

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!

Good times, good sir, good times!!! :slight_smile:
Thank you!

Made me happy to read your comment. Thank you!

Pretty good. They should give you a job somewhere.

1 Like

Working on it! Thank you Brett! :slight_smile:

Kris! Good to see you here again.
That clay looks so clay. Excellent result.