ZBrushCentral

Johnny Depp

looks great Jelmer… personally I’m definitely NOT a fan of his but there’s no mistaking who that is even from a smal icon :slight_smile:

PHUCK!!!:+1:

Jesus Christ - that’s excellent!

Everything about it from the technical to the creative choices is superb. If I had one crit it’s that the likeness falls down a little from the other angle you showed - his cheeks look too bulging/pronounced.

Great work.

This looks great!
I’m curious as to why modeling in Maya then rendering everything in XSI? Not that it matters :slight_smile: I am just curious.

Waow, Looking great jelmer :slight_smile:

Five stars from me, anyway. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

No way!!, that’s a photo!!!, damn this is really the most realistic portrait of a famous people that ive ever seen!!! ahh my english :s, but wwow , Waiting for top row!.

Amazing!!! Looks better than photoreal.

BTW, how do you get then consistent threading (grid) texture in the head band around the hat?

Very nice sculpt and render! :+1:

now that looks amazing! Great job doing the skin! One of the best skins I’ve seen, very convincing. Congratulations! Now make Jack Sparrow out of it:D

Jelmer,

An incredible portrait. The lighting is impressive too…:smiley:

Top Row!

Dickie

Thank you so much everyone! I am flatttered.

IcemanJ: All the details are part of the zbrush model, which sits at 2,5 million points having 6 levels of subdivision. The Displacement map was extracted from level 3, which is the resolution I am rendering the mesh with in XSI. The bumpmap was extracted as a displacement map as well, but extracted from level 5 (so it just calculates / renders the details from level 5 to 6) and hooked up into the shader as a bumpmap. The details on this bumpmap are created through a combination of lazymouse sculpting and use of the numurous zbrush alphas. The patterns of pores and wrinkles I created are based of close up refference of the man himself.

jamespthornton: Thank you! I am glad you like the black and white presentation. Personally I am not a fan of color. I like unpainted sculptures, and love black and white photography. When you take away the color, the composition, tones, forms, lights and darks become so much more appearant. I find color distracting most of the time, which is why I keep most of my own work in black and white. (Daemon3d)

hyper1: Thank you sir!

moonlitmaverick: Personally I like the focal length. I chose it because it gives the model a bit more depth. But I hear what you say.

monstermaker: Always a great pleasure to hear from you! Thank you.

Intervain: Thanks lady, not a fan eh? Do we prefer Alan Rickman? :wink:

AJ Jefferies: Thank you, you’re right. This was an earlier stage of the model. I ended up refining the model till the last minute, when everything was lit and ready to render. Having the shadows in place does help to spot certain things, and that was one of them. I wanted to share the image with you guys either way though.

Madam Yes: Good question… It’s a bit unlogical really. I could have done the entire piece in XSI, which is still my favorite alround 3D package. The reason for doing the modeling in Maya is based on my professional work. A vast majority of the effects houses out there run a Maya / Linux pipeline. To avoid getting rusty and having to adapt to Maya everytime again when I go into production I choose to keep doing my polymodeling in Maya.

AVTPro: Thank you! Having an accurate UVmap helps with that. I just painted on the little stripes in the bump map. (No fancy procedural textures, I am far too little tech-savvy for such trickery)

hahaha Jelmer - yes we do precious, a thousandfold :wink:

really great. I like every your work. :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

thanks for answer, I’ll try this approach on my next project. I really like your stuff, I’m looking forward to seeing another piece from you.

wooow awesome stuff

Awsome work!

Why hasn’t this made it to the top row?!

The only thing off to me are the eyes - but its still amazing work.

By the way, it’s really hard to get a likeness when you don’t know the fov of your reference.

Hey Jelmer, you did it again! Great work.
Keep rocking!
Best regards, Selwy

Hey Jelmer, that was my comment regarding as well, the eyes and cheekbones. My opinion is when you nailed the eyes, you’re home free. You’re a millimeter away from making it perfect. Photoshop can make it as well if you’re not inclined to revisiting the model :smiley:

Have a look at this one, cheeks aren’t that bloated, and the eyes those eyes :smiley: You have to make them perfect because every lady is in love with him, and every man wants to be him :smiley:
http://www.flixray.com/forums/uploads/eyes_002_full.jpg