ZBrushCentral

In Memoriam of Mahlikus the Black

MAH-Memoriam

It is with great sadness that we share today that we have learned of the passing of a great friend and wonderful human being, Michael Angelo Hernandez, aka Mahlikus the Black. He was waiting for a liver transplant, but need far outreaches supply and one was not found in time for Michael.

Michael was a retired teacher of Audio Video production, who then became a Producer for Sinclair Broadcast Group. According to his website, he received at least one Emmy award in his time with them. His clients have included The Fred Rogers Foundation, Ralph Lauren, Wells Fargo, Polo Jean Co., and Harley Davidson.

In the ZBrush world, Michael was a long-time and constant contributor of his knowledge and expertise, as well as no small number of brushes and materials, which he freely shared with the community. Here are a few:

Brushes

Free Model

Materials

Please join us here in paying respects to Michael. Do you have a story of how he influenced your ZBrush experience? We’d love to read it!

12 Likes

I only know MAH for his creation of the awesome MAH Dirty Blue material. Much loved and oft used. MAH, may the skies shine eternally bright blue for you.

4 Likes

Was just looking him up two weeks ago, what a loss. He was always so helpful to everyone and kind, not to mention all the resources he shared with the community. I learned so much from him. He was a great artist that will be missed.

3 Likes

MAH Dirty Blue material was my favorit for a long time.
What a loss.Rest in peace. :frowning:

1 Like

I am very sad.
I’ve used his brushes since the beginning.
great artist :pensive:

1 Like

To me, Michael was a ZBC “fixed value”, being a “first hour ZBrusher” and a very active and helpful ZBC community member for so many years.

I had the pleasure of being in the ZBrush beta team with him on a few occasions.

I love the elegant shapeflow, colors and design solutions of Michael’s sculpts. The way he presents them is both simple and elegant. They have that certain MAH-vibe.

He was happy to share brushes, materials, models and videos.

This is what Furio Tedeschi commented on Michael’s brushes:

“Hey Mahlikus just checked out your brushes …did quick test

and man they work well - very clean/…should help me alot :smiley:

Thx again”

One of Michael’s ZBrush memories:

“I remember an IRC chat room night when we taught a young Z user how to master the program and that user turned out to be MonsterMaker!..Better known as Rick Baker”

I am really glad he shared, because a part of him will continue to live on in artworks around the world.

Thank you for inspiring and sharing so much with fellow artists and ZBrushers.

Thank you for being you.

Rest in peace Michael.

4 Likes

loved his artwork and brushes.
Rest in peace Michael.

Rest In Peace

So very sad, thanks for letting us know Aurick
Such a fine guy and gifted soul, so generous with his time in helping others .
His Christopher Walken impressions that he would throw in his videos always made me chuckle.

Fond memories indeed.

He was one of my favorite contributors to the ZBrush community and really helped to innovate the possibilities within this realm. Will be missed but not forgotten. :frowning:

2 Likes

Gone on the other side! :cry: