ZBrushCentral

Importing models as a group creates invisible vertexs

For some reason if I import my model as a group of objects it increases the vertex count from 21000 to 41000 without creating any actual geometry. By combining the different models into 1 object it does not have this problem.

Hi @Alex_Weber ,

I can’t do more than make some guesses here. To get better answers you would need to contact ZBrush Support and supply the file for examination.

1. Polygon count changes can be accounted for with conversion from Quads to Tris, and may result in a rough doubling of polycount. Check to see if any such import/export options are active.

2. Importing a file with ngons (polygons with more than 4 points) will result in ZBrush inserting edges to force quads and tris, and may substantially alter the polycount.

3. Point count changes can be accounted for if the mesh has been split into a series of open mesh sections. You mention this happens when you split the model into separate meshes? If that involves importing the mesh as a group of open mesh sections that are not welded together, then you are essentially doubling the point count along all the open mesh borders. On a high resolution mesh this might result in a substantial point increase.

• If all those sections of mesh are welded together and imported as a single unbroken mesh, then you eliminate all the duplicate points along the border of those mesh sections.
  1. Unexpected geometry that might be eliminated when the mesh is fused together–duplicate sections, double sided or interior-facing surfaces, etc.

If none of these explain your issue, please contact ZBrush Support.

Thank you!