ZBrushCentral

Imported OBJ to Dynamesh?

Is it possible to convert an imported OBJ to Dynamesh?
If so how can I retain the topology of the imported mesh so that I can continue to sculpt onto it in dynamesh mode.

Might seem like an odd request but it would be useful to be able to do this with the way I work.

Cheers

Hello Matt.

You can convert any polymesh to a Dynamesh by enabling Dynamesh for it. Changing topology is the entire point of Dynamesh though.

If you’d like the freedom to use Dynamesh but want to keep your original topology, then you would sculpt on a duplicate, and project the detail onto the original when finished.

Many thanks for replying Spyndel.
I have used the project all route before so maybe that’s the way to go.

I’m not that efficient in ZBrush just now, so I like to create a simple ‘blank’ of my character in my 3D app and then work the detail into it in ZBrush.

One thing I haven’t played with much is to add all the detail, then Z remesh and export that object out to use with my newly created disp or normal maps (instead of using the the original imported geometry at all)
My thinking is that the remeshing process takes into account the new detail added in Zbrush and remeshes the object with the modified topology.