ZBrushCentral

IMM Primatives can't select seperate mesh

When blocking out a basemesh with the insert sphere in IMM primatives - I’m not sure if there is just an insert sphere brush anymore? - I can select and adjust parts by going into move mode and clicking with SHIFT+CTRL. After a certain point however it seems to group primatives together instead of letting my select the seperately. It seems to be first two primatives are fine after that the third and so on seem to count as one?

Hello @CamnJB

The IMM brush will insert the meshes as a separate Polygroup from the target mesh. Additional meshes will be inserted as the same new polygroup. As long as you are inserting meshes one by one, it will automask everything except the freshly inserted mesh, which will allow you to easily reposition the mesh you just inserted.

If , however, at any point you clear or alter the masking, then what you have is your original mesh as one polygroup, and a bunch of inserted spheres as the same polygroup. You would need to either split those inserted meshes into their own subtools using one of the Split functions in the subtool palette, or hide the original target mesh and use the Tool > Polygroups> Autogroups to assign all the visible spheres their own polygroup.

Once the spheres are their own unique polygroup, you can Ctrl-click on them in Move mode to auto-mask everything but that polygroup, allowing you to freely position all the spheres individually.

To work efficiently in Zbrush, it is vital that you understand the polygrouping shortcuts, the Masking Shortcuts, and the Mesh visibility functions. These should be committed to muscle memory as soon as possible. You will struggle to manage your meshes without these skills.

After some experimenting using SHIFT+F I discovered what I think was the problem. I would sometimes drag them IMM brush from a point on a previous masked polygroup rather the one I just made and worked on so it would get added to that polygroup instead of making a new one.