ZBrushCentral

I only have EyeZ for you - Eye donation (Updated with textures, Materials and Lights)

My problem for the day is this:

Colorze seems to be screwed up when you save your subtool. Scenario is that you create a material based off a material that comes as standard, and save it with a different name. So in my case I used the redwax material and changed the MatCap image to that which I had created with the MatCap tool. When I save the model and start-up ZB again, even though I renamed the material it lost the reference to the MatCap image I had created and resorted back to Red Wax. Now the fact that I saved the material as a totally new material should have broken the link from the original material MatCap image of Red Wax (at the very least).

So my conclusion so far is:

Any MatCap material that you generate that was based of another material will retain the data from the original.

Kerley_bad_crop.jpg

One other issue with MatCap (just in case you haven’t figured this out yet) is that MatCap meterials are NOT affected by lights in the usual way. Only a single light will give you the desired results, and trying more lights will overexpose your image ( and I mean REALLY overexpose). It seems that when you capture a MatCap material you are effectively capturing the lighting too. Now this has it’s own merits, especially if you are trying to match-up a CG model with an existing image (take the chilly pepper image for instance), but the downside of that is that if you try and use the material in a new scene, you will have to match all your other materials (especially those that are not MatCap, and thus abide by normal lighting) to the one you are using. Further more, if you capture the shadowy areas in your MatCap you will need to match-up shadows too; any new shadows that you may need for other matrials will affect the MatCap meterial also. From my experiments the results are poor. It is as though with a MatCap material the material, lighting and shadows are all baked into the material (I hope I am using the phrase correctly).

On the upside of all this, you can do some really cool lighting and material affects if you are clever about how you capture the material. Capturing a MatCap from a color ramp (like the color selection ramp) can open doors to great materials, espicially if you know enough NOT to capture shadows.

One last thing on the topic of MetCap materials. In the modifiers panel under materials there is a section with Glow/Intensity/Specular/MatCap/B. Anyone know what it does or have got it to work? As far as I can tell it has no effect on the material.

Anyway I lost what I did last night so I am a little ticked-off.

In zb2 (and evidently zb3), custom material information is only saved with a document save, not a tool save. You save a document of your custom work with the tool, then load that, and load the tool into it, and the custom material settings will be retained. Otherwise, you must save out each custom material, and “load” it over top of the tool’s materials manually, outside of its native document. By default, the tool only retains the default settings for that material’s ID.

So, when youre ready to start painting and texturing your model, save a Document in addition to the tool. Its always a good idea to save out your custom material settings as their own mat files too, for easy backup in case something goes wrong, and for easy portability between documents.

Thanks Scott. I guess that was a painful lesson to learn for me.

Oh well, I am still at the playing stage… trying different things, see what works.

Hi Elixir - nice thread.

A thing I somethimes do with materials is have a scratch layer of pixol objects with their materials. If I open the doc later I can always pick up those materials using the picker.

Boozy: Thanks for the kind words and the tip. I love your work, and feel quite honored that you bothered :slight_smile:

I have found some interesting things about MatCap. Here is the result of my experiments with skin and eyeball MatCaps. If you like it, I will post the images and the materials. I will also explain how I came up with it, when I have more time.

Kerley2.jpg

nice one guys… some quality freebee’s

Hello again.

I have been playing around with different materials for eyes.

Poda: You asked what the material was. The base material started out as Jelly Bean. The render below (without shadows) is a close-up of the image I posted on my caricature thread (bottom).

Anyway I have attached the material for you to play with :slight_smile:
EyesJelly.jpg

Attachments

Kerley_comp.jpg

hi Elixir i did not found the skin material on it!
btw cool owrk
Andreseloy

andreseloy: I didn’t post the skin material, as I wasn’t sure if the MatCap image gets included in the material file, I found out that it does, so I will post the skin material tonight.

Thanks for the comment btw. :slight_smile:

Oh!!!thanks soooo much. I am just trying to put eyes in my model and I didn’t know how to make eyes. Again THANKS!!!

Thanks very much! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :smiley:

Anderson - Gendragon

Andreseloy: Here is the skin texture and light set-up that you were asking about.

Hope you like it and get some use out of it. :slight_smile:

love those eyes…and your generosity…you do a great favor for many of us…

Vedanta: It is my pleasure. :slight_smile:

I have been working on the images that were kindly supplied by tb66k1 (Iris images), My aim is to provide different sets of eyes. There is a little Photoshop magick required. I will post some new eyes when I am happy with the results.

Elixir until now i did not noticed the zip!
Thanks very much you are very kind!:+1:
I love that skin texture!!!
Andreseloy

So here is a result of a lot of Photoshop fiddling. The texture is attatched. Place it on the model I supplied earlier and use one of the materials I uploaded.
Voila!!

More to come.

brown-eyes2.jpg

Andreseloy: I am glad you the skin texture. Thanks for keeping the thread alive:)

i like the skin texure :smiley:
very help full for me

Thansk for starting this thread Elixir and you and the others for sharing their efforts and info. At this point I’m still too much a beginner to do something with it but I did get the notion this will come in very handy one day :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Mike

It seems like a hot topic these days so I thought I would include some eyeZ with a HDRI material (Faked of course) :slight_smile: Material is included. Enjoy!

[attach=60523]Eyes2.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Eyes2.jpg