ZBrushCentral

How to use zbrush with 3ds max?

hmm i got Zbrush 1.23 and i cant import an obj file? help!:smiley: i can only import psd and bmp files but im not sure that i have finded the right imoport button:rolleyes:

Then u might have more chances to make it aork importing ure obj file as a tool :wink:
go in tool/import
open ure .obj then pass on edit mode to start playing with itā€¦
ā€¦hope that is as simple as that :wink:

tool/import dosent exist but there is a load button but it only loads ztl files

it doesā€¦but maybe not in zbrush 1.23?
got it in zbrush 2 :stuck_out_tongue:
;))

here the proof ;))))

U might found what u want somewhere in this link (wich is a link that regroup different thread on a lot of subjectsā€¦)
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=15954

OK! now i have succesfully imported an sad.obj file and ofcourse i got a question:D

1.wy cant i edit an imported object?
2.how do i select an object i have putted out

Go back to page 1 of this thread, it will tell you the basic steps.:wink:

Once you draw out your imported OBJ mesh, BEFORE you do anything else, hit the EDIT button. This should be up in the top right of the interface. Then you can rotate, move, scale and hide and unhide as well as draw on your mesh.:slight_smile:

Yea its a great tut but i have a few problems still cause i dont use the same version as u, like when i edit the obj and want to deform and stuff but then i cant edit again so i cant rotate it,and i dont know how to ā€œmarkā€ the obj

OK I donā€™t know anything about the version yuor using, sorry for the confusion. Is there an option in the tool palette to save your OBJ as a tool? This might be what youā€™re after?

If not I hope someone else can help you out with this. :wink:

ok like scratchy said,when u load ure .obj file and then press edit, u can start edit ure object and save different stage of it by saving it as a tool (tool/save as/) ā€¦it must be something similar in ure version, in the tool menu ā€¦it shouldnā€™t be an export (as u can also export ure object as a mesh but if u do so might have an object with millions of polys wich is not very handy :wink:
here is how it looks like in the version 2 of Zb:

i still cant select my obj its just liked its just stuck:P i know how to export the obj but i need to select it first and i dont know were to select it

ok i think im getting better now but if u change the tool to make textures on the obj wy cant u swith back to the obj l8er?

the way zbrush work is that when u get out of edit mode to create a new tool, u cant come back to the one u were working on before (or at least, i never found how to do it) thatā€™s why itā€™s important to save ure toolā€¦all u need to do is bringing back ure tool in ure canvas if u started something else and want to go back on itā€¦the thing for the texture im not sure i understand what u ask, as u can texture ure model and get back and rework ure modelā€¦can u be more precise?

thanks scratchy
that helps :cool:

Nice base horse mesh Abe:+1: Iā€™d like to see the finished version when your done.

I think you might have some pinching in Zed on the front of the horses nose, eyes and ear areas with those triā€™s when the poly count goes up though;) . Might be worth testing this before you put all the work in detailing it:question:

No worries Nan, if you download the Habware OBJ to max, Max to OBJ plugins for max 6 they come with help files. I use Max 7.5 (OBJ Standard) so I downloaded them just for the help files, Max 7 User Reference has 1 sentence of discription that I could find.:roll_eyes:

Scratchy

Hi there - Hereā€™s is my first post in this cool forum. Iā€™ve been using ZB2 for a couple of days now and have to admit Iā€™m absolutely addicted! :wink:

Scratchy, I thought Iā€™d add a couple of points to your fantastic tutorial on displacement mapping:

1. I find that after making my lowpoly model in 3dsmax (ver 7), I map the UVs and then collapse to leave just an Edit Poly in the Stack. Next I go to the utilities panel and apply a Reset X-Form and collapse the stack again to leave just an Edit Poly, before exporting the OBJ to Zbrush. This cleared up some nasty problems with texture/displacement map generation I had initially.

2. The whole business with switching to your cloned Morph is relevent only when you are not exporting the sculpted Zbrush tool back to max as an OBJ. It is done so that the displacement mapping works on the original lowpoly model.

3. I love keyboard shortcuts and find they really improve the workflow in Zbrush especially in combo with a Graphics Tablet. So learn them as thoroughly as possible! E.G. Press ā€œTā€ as soon as you import your OBJ into Zbrush to switch to Edit Mode.

Right. Next stop: specularity and bump mapsā€¦ :slight_smile:

scratchy said "Nice base horse mesh Abe:+1: Iā€™d like to see the finished version when your done.

I think you might have some pinching in Zed on the front of the horses nose, eyes and ear areas with those triā€™s when the poly count goes up though;) . Might be worth testing this before you put all the work in detailing it:question: "

Tx for the comment :wink:
concerning the pinching, it doesnā€™t seem to be of any problem for Zb and at the end itā€™s not really important honestly, this horse model is for in game purpose (itā€™s a statue of a horse/fishā€¦seen on the background) and used it to show how to import an obj end save it as a tool to try to help ruthlosā€¦ihope u managed to save ur tool by the way Ruthlos :wink:

Might play with this horse in zbrush (already tried and it was really fun) but have dozens of other statues and will probably create one complitely made in ZBā€¦when ill have more time for me :wink:

Thanks pmcclory, fantastic & clear advice. Itā€™s great to finally get some other concise positive directions/explanations on this thread, very much appreciated:+1: . I will be trying them out in my future ZB projects.

Looking forward to your bump map advice:)

Cheers,

Scratchyā€¦

I think this thread concludes with this:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=26850

Great tut! (a bit slow though ;), next time use timelapse!)

Thanks. Nah it isĀ“nt that slowā€¦ IĀ“ve had complains about how fast it is :confused: