ZBrushCentral

How to make this lines?

Hello all,

I have some problems to make the small brown lines in ZBrush:

Unbenannt

Hello @julmer!

There are many ways to do this sort of thing in Zbrush. It depends on whether you would like that overlapping mesh to be merely fibrous in appearance, or if you need to be able to pick out the individual strands. There may be more or less work involved depending on the quality of the detail sought.

Sculpting directly onto the underlying mesh or duplicate, with the assistance of Lazy Mouse, would be the easiest. I’ll assume here you want to actually create those “brown line” portions as separate geometry.

Two common approaches would be to:

1. Mask the pattern of the overlapping mesh ( the “small brown lines”) onto your source mesh, and perform a Mesh Extract. The resulting mesh can subdivided or ZRemeshed depending on your needs, and sculpted into shape.
  • :warning: Note that this pattern contains a lot of fine detail and small, slender lines. It will probably require a mesh with a fairly high polygon density to extract from (the more polygons, the more accurate the masking). I wouldn’t expect to be able to create all of that detail with only an extract.

1. Use an IM brush with a curve stroke, like the Curve Tube Snap brush in conjunction with Lazy Mouse to actually draw a series of fine tubes along the surface. With care, Lazy mouse will let you continually add to the curve for unbroken tubes.

Using some combination of the two approaches would probably create the best results. Sculpt the general form from an extract, and use actual tubes to create fine detail areas that might be difficult to create as an extract. For instance, some of the strands in your reference image will be too fine to create as an extract, so in these cases draw actual tubes between the thicker parts of the mesh. The various mesh pieces can be fused together with Dynamesh and touched up as needed.