ZBrushCentral

How do I scale eyeballs?

I am having a little trouble transforming objects–ears and eyes. I have two questions:

1. It seems like pressing move, scale, and rotate on the toolbar all do the same thing. They bring up a Gizmo. Do all of these buttons do exactly the same thing, or am I missing something?

2. Trying to scale two eyeballs in my mesh head (main tool) is not easy. I can scale and move one eyeball and then mirror and weld the second one. It works, but it is not what I want. I would like to scale and move them both together instead of one at a time. This helps my placement. But, when I try to scale and move them together (with x symmetry turned on), it will not scale correctly. The eyeballs will scale but they also “scale” out of position.

I had a similar problem the other day when I was trying to move an ear. It was moving but it kept scaling when I moved it. I just want to be able to move, scale, and rotate independently of each other. I would like apply one transformation at a time. I’m not sure what I am doing wrong.

1. Why is there a second Gizmo (pressing y)? This is further confusing me. Am I using the wrong one for what I am trying to do? Can I just use one Gizo or the other?

I did watch a few YouTube videos, but they don’t seem to address this particular concern. I have only used this product for a few days. I find the sculpting part ultra intuitive and so much fun. It is way better than Blender, and I don’t know why I waited so long to try this. But, the UI part is quite different from everything else and is a little tricky to learn. For instance, I still cannot tumble right.

From your description, it sounds like you’re using a 3D modeling software with a focus on digital sculpting, possibly something akin to ZBrush or a similar application given the context of your issues. These applications are indeed intuitive for sculpting but can have a steep learning curve when it comes to mastering their interfaces and toolsets for specific tasks like transforming objects accurately. I’ll address your concerns based on common functionalities found in these types of software

1. Yes they all bring up the Gizmo. The Gizmo was a new addition many years ago.

2. To scale a pair of eyes in place. assuming they are symmetric across X, activate symmetry (X) and activate Local Symmetry (Transform: L.Sym)

3. The second Gizmo was actually the first, called the Transpose Tool. Has a few uses beyond the Gizmo, for example measurement, and there are also many old school users who prefer it.

This is all basic stuff so I’d suggest that if you’re new to Zbrush then check out Michael Pavlovich’s Intro to Zbrush. An easy to search playlist covering all the basics.

Also Maxon (Pixologic) ZClassroom covers all the features but also has project based examples so you can see how it’s used to create various sculpts.

To see Zbrush in action browse the many live streams Zbrush Live

1 Like

I fell for the old local symmetry mistake. Every 3D software has got me on this at some point.

I like the new Gizmo much more than that weird old stick.