ZBrushCentral

How can I morph an IMM or flat plane to a curved/posed mesh?

Hi all

I need help solving a problem I’ve had for the last several years that has prevented me from making progress on a number of projects.

I want to detail and add filigree and ornamentation to an already posed and detailed mesh. Specifically cloth. I’ve been loving the cloth simulation tools and brushes, and between those and UVs have become more and more confident in my ability to sculpt elaborate and heavily detailed cloth garments and stuff. However, what I REALLY need to be able to do is to attach filigree, ornamentation, weaves, and embroidery designs.

Using the typical standard-drag rectangle-alpha method is no good: the alpha designs don’t stay consistent and symmetrical across the warped mesh.
Using UVs and morph UV is super helpful for things that are simple sculpting additions, like seams, or textures. But since I can’t add or remove vertex points, it doesn’t help me when wanting to attach a whole additional piece/surface.
And I’ve tried using the cloth collision physics to manually morph one mesh onto another, but the top mesh gets so wonky it’s useless for this purpose.

Does anyone know of a method I’ve missed that would allow me to do this? Basically if there was a way I could intersect an IMM with a mesh via UV, or if I could guarantee a polygroup would maintain its shape when flattened as a UV, or something like that.