ZBrushCentral

Hotkeys for smooth Z Intensity

I’m trying to set up hotkeys for smooth Z Intensity increments that are closely related to the Z Intensity hot keys: ‘[’ and ‘]’ to decrease or increase the Z Intensity value. The natural choice would be to use ‘{’ and ‘}’ as these keys are a combination of Shift-[ and Shift-]. But I couldn’t get ZBrush to respond to this keyboard combination.

I’m now beginning to wonder if smooth Z Intensity incrementing functionality is even exposed by ZBrush for hotkey support as its not listed on their HotKey list. If anyone knows more about this or has gotten it to work, please let me know.

Thanks, Norman

The Draw Size increments are provided by buttons in the Zplugin>Misc Utilities sub-palette (which can have different hotkeys assigned if you wish) but there’s no equivalent for Z Intensity. However, if you install the plugin here then you’ll be able to do what you want:
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?172391-Useful-small-ZScripts-and-Macros-for-ZBrush-4R6&p=1013109&viewfull=1#post1013109

You’ll then be able to assign hotkeys to the buttons using the Ctrl+Alt+click method.

Thanks, I’m using your “Misc. Utilties” in ZPlugins and its great. Is there any simple way to expand it to support “Smooth Z Intensity” – this is the smoothing intensity applied when the Shift key is pressed to apply the Smoothing brush – in addition to “Z Intensity”? Or some way to switch out “Focal Shift” and replace it with “Smooth Z Intensity”?

I currently have “Z Intensity” increments mapped to the “;” and “’” keys and it works fabulously, as they are then mapped to a Wacom touch strip. I want to do the same thing with the “Smooth Z Intensity”.

Thanks, Norman

Thanks, I’m using your “Misc. Utilties” in ZPlugins and its great. Is there any simple way to expand it to support “Smooth Z Intensity” – this is the smoothing intensity applied when the Shift key is pressed to apply the Smoothing brush – in addition to “Z Intensity”? Or some way to switch out “Focal Shift” and replace it with “Smooth Z Intensity”?

I currently have “Z Intensity” increments mapped to the “;” and “’” keys and it works fabulously, as they are then mapped to a Wacom touch strip. I want to do the same thing with the “Smooth Z Intensity”.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were after. There’s a problem with the Smooth Z Intensity in that I can’t find a way to get the current setting through zscript. It’s possible to set the slider though, so here is a workaround. I’ve done as you suggested and replaced the Focal Shift option, so make sure you delete the other plugin - the HotkeyFocalS_ZIntens.ZSC file - from your ZStartup\ZPlugs before installing this version, otherwise they will conflict.

This is essentially the same except that there is an extra slider for “Smooth Z Intensity”. The plugin uses this as the current setting for the actual Smooth Z Intensity (and adjusting the slider will change the setting). The only thing you need to remember is that if you set the Smooth Z Intensity in the usual way by holding Shift then the plugin slider won’t update to reflect this, and you’ll need to use the plugin at least once when you start sculpting to make sure the sliders are in synch. Other than that you should find the plugin works as you wish.

Thanks so much for your prompt response and altering your plug-in as the updated plug-in works brilliantly.

Seems like such a small thing, but it almost completely changes the way I use ZBrush.

thanks again, Norman

You’re welcome. I’m glad you find it useful.

The page is broken… Or what?
I can’t find the plugin…

A lot of the older links don’t work because ZBC has changed. I think this may be what you’re looking for. Note that you need to install in the ZBrush 2022/ZStartup/ZPlugs64 folder.

Useful small ZScripts and Macros for ZBrush 4R7 - #33 by system?

Marcus