ZBrushCentral

History Movie Export mpg won't play

Hi Everyone,

So I am having a problem when exporting History Movies from ZBrush. The resulting MPG file doesn’t play. It’s says its over 1 gb but seems to have nothing in it. I can open it in Quicktime but it opens like a sound file and pressing play does nothing.

Any help would be very appreciated.

I am running Zbrush 2020 1.3 on an iMac using OS X 10.15.4

Hello @kylekane

Please upgrade your program to the most up to date version–currently 20201.4. Obsolete versions may be missing fixes, and are not supported.

Can you play any media files of that type? If not, you may be missing a video codec. Have you tried any other video players?

If you determine that it is specifically an issue with the files being produced by ZBrush and not all files of that type, you will need to contact Pixologic Support.

So I messed around and figured a few things out. It seems to be an issue with exporting a History movie that uses a Title Image faded in and out of the video.

The Title image I’m using is simply the same image I’m using with Image Plane to customize the background of my video. It’s a psd file, 8 bit rgb, no layers or anything, and it works great as my background. It also seems to record as a fade in/out inside of ZBrush. However, when exporting the movie to mpg, the above problem occurs. The video export won’t play. Simply removing the Title Image results in a successful, playable export.

What I don’t know is whether a different file format for the title image would work. At the moment, it’s not really a problem since I can just add the transition in iMovie or Screenflow. I will have to experiment more when I have time.

Hello @kylekane, hello @Spyndel,

i just want to chime in and add that I’m having the exact same issue.

After experimenting with the parameters for a while, I got to this conclusion:

• The error (weird sound file instead of a movie) occurs when I have the the FadeIn and FadeOut times for the Title Image set to 0.
  • When I have the FadeOut AND the FadeIn times set to a value above 0, the movie is exported correctly.

This is an issue when I just want to have a clean turntable without any logos, titles and fadeins/outs.

I tried to add a transparent texture, assuming that I could fade it in/out and it wouldn’t be seen. But this doesn’t work as the fades make the texture flash bright white anyways.

Specs:

• iMac late 2013, Core i7, 3,5 GHz, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB
  • macOS Mojave, 10.14.6
  • ZBrush 2021.5

My workaround for the time being will probably be: create turntable with fadein/out and two spins instead of one and then cutting out what I need in a video editing software.

Hope this helps & happy zbrushing! :slight_smile:

Hello @kylekane, @nerox and @Spyndel,

Does anyone know if there Is a solution to this old issue?
Exported videos are unviewable .mpg files if no title image was used.

Requiring a fading title image is bit of a hassle and detracts from the video’s purpose.

I will create a support ticket if that is a better venue but hoping that there is a known fix.

Thank you

Macs (MacBook Pro and m1 mini, various OS)