ZBrushCentral

Help! Layers got deleted in project, can't open mouth of Tyrannosaur model

I’m posting this because I have a huge problem that needs a solution ASAP, as the future of my project depends on getting this model set and ready. I was sent a model of a juvenile Tyrannosaur, and I was making changes to it, particularly in the hindlimb and skull. In order to add non-muscular lips, I made two layers - one layer just for closing the mouth, and a separate layer for actually making the lips close properly. However, after doing some significant editing of the teeth (a different subtool entirely), I went back to try to disable the mouth closed layer, only to find that all layers on the T. rex subtool were greyed out and couldn’t be interacted with, despite the fact that there are no subdivision levels or anything like that to cause an issue. As it was late at night I closed the project (saving it, of course), deciding I would tackle the issue the next day.

However, upon opening the .zpr file this afternoon, I looked and the layers on that subtool aren’t even there anymore! How do I go about fixing this? I cannot open the mouth in its current state, as there is no way to cleanly mask off the lower jaw without distorting the upper jaw with it.

Please, any help is very much appreciated! Attached is a screenshot showing the model, so you can see where the issue is.

Hi @Kyle_Atkins-Weltman

I’m sorry you’re having some trouble here. I can’t tell you exactly what happened from your description, but keep in mind layers can only be accessed for the subtool they were created for (proper subtool selected), at the level of subdivision they were created.

However, the larger problem by far is the apparent lack of a backup. Zbrush makes periodic auto save backups by default–you could try loading an earlier save from Lightbox with the layers intact, to see what in your process is breaking the layers.

If, however, you have not yet developed a policy of aggressive, iterative manual saves, these sorts of setbacks will continue to punish you severely. Unexpected stuff happens all the time.

In the meantime if you cant sort your issue or load an earlier version, cant find your layers and must reconstruct your work, the Brush > Auto Masking > Topological feature will be useful for pulling the mouth apart again.

Use a select tool to isolate a few polygons from the mouth (either from the top or the bottom), then use Tool: Visibility to either Grow or Shrink the selection, leaving you with just one half shown. This will make it easy peasy to mask off and/or polygroup the jaw for future selection.