ZBrushCentral

GoZ for 3dsmax ?

Is this any nearer to being released ?

Cheers

El-d

made a day after your post :slight_smile:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=81506http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=81506

Hi Norman,

Great tool! I have one issue, i just installed this for 3ds Max 2012 and when i go between Max and then bring the tool back into Zbrush the imported tool is the wrong scale. There are no transforms on the object when i export so im not sure where the issue is coming from. Any ideas?

Regards,

Frubes

I have had this problem for quite sometime. But it seems that I cannot find a clear answer from Pixologic. You would think that a program this advanced would have the options to handle this issue. I am running 3DSMAX 2014 and Zbrush4 R6. My Max units are set to generic and System Unit scale is 1 unit= 1cm. I am using this to build base meshes to import into Zbrush in order to add high detail used for baking out to dDO and nDO2. Then finally imported into a game engine such as Unreal4 and Cryengine. As a test I did the following to get things to get the meshes to match exactly.

1.)In 3DSMAX Create a Box 10x10x10. make sure you zero out your “Select and Move” to 0,0,0 If this is not done you will have problems with the Symetry in Zbrush to match correctly. (I like to CENTER my AXIS to my mesh then ZERO things out so that the rotations in Zbrush dont seem wonky.)
2.)Then Click on GoZ in Max and fire it over to Zbrush.
3.)Draw out your mesh or tool that was imported from Max. You will notice that your DRAW SCALE even when set to 1000 is way too small.
4.)****Which is annoying as FK! BANG HEAD AGAINST DESK and REPEAT: “Why cant Autodesk and Pixologic get together shake hands and drink a beer then make this a one click solution?”
5.)So now go to the Deformation rollout. Then click UNIFY make sure all 3 axis are active X, Y, Z.
You will see your mesh reduce in size.
6.)Now GoZ your Box back to 3DSMAX (In Max before you GoZ it back to MAX make a copy of your original Box and rename it so you can tell which one is which.)
You will see your ZBRUSH mesh is much smaller than your original.
7.)Right Click your SCALE button. You will see the OFFSET World Scale as a % “percent” I will dial this up to macth the size.
Make a mental note of what value you get. I have seen the value be different many times. Sometimes 20 sometimes 100 or even 1000. In this can for me while doing this as I write it the value is 500.
8.)Hit Control+Z to step back to your Zbrush’s messed up scale then type the values you got from the previous step into the
X, Y, Z.
9.)You can CHECK your Vertex locations are EXACT on BOTH MESHES.
WHY CANT THIS BE A ONE CLICK and be DONE with it???:rolleyes:

Yes, this ongoing problem really destroys the great benefits of using GoZ. It’s fine for a one-time send either way, but makes a back and forth workflow a pain in the arse.

I think I may have found a solution that seems to be working consistently for me. After a lot of trial and error and experimenting just like yourself I’ve been having success by:

Set your scale to 10 or 100 or whatever suits your Max scene(setting it to 100 made a default CylinderPM3D 2m high in Max)in ZB’s export rollout.(for some reason it resets itself randomly so check it every time before GoZ)

Now this is the part I found seemed to do the trick: enable ‘import as subtool’ in the GoZ prefs. Now with the tool active>GoZ

Work in Max>GoZ(make sure same tool is active in ZB)

And it will import back to ZB as a new subtool with the exact same scale as the original.

Also, make sure to clear your GoZ cache regularly to avoid craziness! :slight_smile:

Fingers crossed this solution is consistent as it’s very simple.