ZBrushCentral

Giantstalker

The Giantstalker armour set has always stuck with me since I played the original World of Warcraft in 2004. The oversized pauldrons and striking colours really sold this armour as something truly epic.

I used this personal project as an opportunity to reimagine the design from 2004 leaning towards realism and practicality over the usual extravagance depicted in the Blizzard universe.

thumbnail

Screenshot from World of Warcraft Classic. This is the original design of the armour set.

22 Likes

First, welcome to the ZBrushCentral community, awesome first post!
Secondly, this is really well done, love the pose with the emotion on the face, cool stuff!!

Hey Kyle, I’m glad you like her and thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:

This has got to be the best adaptation of WoW gear I’ve ever seen. Love it. And Giant Stalkers was so iconic when it came out.

Great looking plausible armor and a great looking orc. I remember struggling with making troll teeth a long time ago. These turned out great.

I hope you decide to make more in this style.

Great work!

Wow. That IS an amazing armor set adaptation - aside from the lack of pants or at least some form of knee protection. The original didn’t have them either, but you gotta protect your knees. Looks badass regardless though. You managed to make the exaggeratedly large pauldrons look like they belong in a serious armor set.

Your orc’s face is beautifully done done too.

Hey @Wyatt , I’m happy you like the adaptation! It was a lot of work to get such a crazy armour design to look like it could actually exist in the real world.

I think troll teeth are huge, even bigger than the Orcs in WoW, so it’s going to always be a bit of a struggle to make them work.

In the future I’d love to do some more characters like this too :slight_smile:

@HermanCarlsson Thank you :slight_smile:

@NanoGlyph Haha, yes I did think a bit about the lack of armour/protection in areas on this character. Especially when it’s supposed to be a more practical adaptation. I still wanted to try and keep the general vibe of the original design without altering the amount too much, so this ended up with me deciding to keep those knees exposed :sweat_smile:

And yes those oversized pauldrons were a tricky one to get right! Glad you like it all, thank you!

2 Likes

You’ve done a spectacular job of making the armor much more realistic while still being true to the game art. The character herself is also amazing. You’ve managed to make an orc quite pretty. The way you handled the nose is a truly subtle alien touch.

If they make another Warcraft film, they should hire you!

Hi Aurick, thanks for you comments! The armour was very tough to make realistic while following the game art as closely as possible, it’s nice you like it. I’m happy you like the way I did the face as well!

I would love to work on a warcraft film actually, that would be dope.

For anyone interested I’ve done an interview with 80 Level which covers my process for creating the Giantstalker character.

https://80.lv/articles/making-an-armored-orc-from-world-of-warcraft-with-zbrush-substance/

Also here’s an extra breakdown image I’ve put together for 3D world magazine:

1 Like