ZBrushCentral

First decent anatomy study (Still WIP)

Small update to male study.

Small update to female study.

Your coming on very well, things are looking more consistant now, and as you re go over the anatomy study your slowly make changes all over. I didnt have a great deal of time, but I took the front view into Photoshop, and used Liquify to pull the forms about a bit, its not easy doing this, as even with the mask you cant stop other areas to move, so dont take every single mod as what you should do, that being make the arms fatter, dont do that. I hope you can see the main things Iv done. Iv taken some bulk off her all round, droped the breast, they are too big to stay that high up the chest. I made the shoulders less wide and softer. Have a check over it see what you can find helpfull. Check the location of the Medial Epicondyle.

There are some issues on the side view which I cant go into detail now, but the neck could do with some work, Sterno area, the Butt is a tad round, and high, drop that a bit. Its good to show the body with the arms removed as well, and a 3/4 view. Between the elbow, and the insertion of the bicep, the area between seem too thick. Take a look at the female fat flanks as a study. I can tell you have spent a good while on this, keep going your study and hard work will always pay off. Keep looking at the anatomy books, and study them, as you dont want to keep repeating the same things over and over again from your own memory just yet, each time you go back to the books, be picky and find somthing to make better in every limb, no matter how small.

Liquify.jpg

Danny.

hey Danny, thanks a lot for this. Thanks for taking the time to make the modifications in photoshop. I didn’t realize I was making the butt so high and also the breast (maybe because of tunnel vision) I’ll adjust them. I thought the shoulders were fine, to be honest, but I guess they need to be much softer for a woman. I’ll adjust the neck, but I like the roundness of the butt ( I like them round. LOL). I’ve read books and study from reference, but I end up sculpting what I think I know more than what I see( maybe tunnel vision). Trying to get over that habit. Thanks for taking the time to give me such a in depth feedback, this is very helpful.

Your welcome.

Sometimes using Liquify in photoshop does more damage than good, but yes personal preference, and variation from model to model always has to be taken into account. Some models that I have from 3D.SK while are real people, do exhibit attributes that don’t go down so well when used for presenting what the average eye has become custom to, or ideal in ones mind. Its our job as artist to get that balance to get across what we intended, so when we are presenting what we may specify as a “Female sculpt”, it should not exhibit manly features, it wont look nice to what the viewer expects, unless we have intended this look for a character. Its good to sculpt a few body types, Slim, Average, over weight. If the Anatomy is on point, it will come across well as show we intended the look we chosen.

All this is easyer said than done, and in one way or other we are all trying to master at least one or more of these aspects to being a great artist. What im sculpting now, will be different to next year, and as long as your moving forward, thats all you can do. Keep it going, take your time.

Update to female study: added eyes and and did some light modifications.

Feedback would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

Hi, I watched this thread from the first page and I wanted to say that there’s definetly a big progress and in a short time. I like the female study, it has smooth curves the way it should. On the male version you should tone down the muscles a bit; you can use for the reference the scans that some guys posted very recently, it’s very helpful. Keep it up and good luck!:+1:

Hi.

Other than what iv already mentioned, a good thing to do is isolate each body part, and ask yourself " Would I be happy presenting this single body part as a single peice of work?" Also if you can notice anything wrong, I mean anything, you can bet somone els will. Isolate the head, and examine it a a peice, and work your way down. A Good peice of work has everything dealt with given attention to all areas. As well as anatomy look at posture as well.

Danny.

Hey mate, thanks for replying. I practice as often as I can to get the hang of anatomy. I never thought of toning down the musculature on the male studies, I’ll try approaching the next male study with very light strokes (just like with the female studies) and see what happens. Will take a look at those references. Thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

Hey Danny, thanks for replying. I tried the approach of focusing on a single body part, like just the hands, feet, legs and arms. But I just don’t find it as fun to do that (maybe I’ll give it a try again). Given the fact that I considered the study on my first post to be decent (lol, looking back at it, I can’t believe I thought that was presentable) I don’t think I’m ready to tell if something looks really good on my own, which is why feedback is so important to me right now. Looking forward to seeing your new works and hearing more of your feedback. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Final update to the male study. Added eyes, some light details to the abs and the rest of the body.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Female looks very natural, congrats. No crits on the male as well.

Are you sure you can’t see anything wrong with the male sculpt? I can’t see anything that just screams “wrong” with the male one because I’ve been working on it for several hours. Thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

Well things are looking better and better. Its good to take a break for a few hours, come back and look at your own work with fresh eyes. Iv done work where iv spent hours on it, and have sat there thinking wow! this is realy good, then come back the nexk day and see somthing totaly different. A few things to have a look at on the torso, this dont mean there is nothing els where that can be made better, but for now just the torso.

1: Pectoralis Major, Clavicle section, there should be no dip, or indent at the Origin, other than if you have a realy lean body.
2: Check the same issue for the Origin of the Anterior Deltoid, should not see a indent between the clavicle and muscle.
3: The top set of Abbs sit right under the Pecs on the ribs, then add a larger set underneith, then one more before the last large belly of Abbs.
4: Check your forarm ridge muscles, Ext Brachioradialis, and Ext Carpi Radialis Longus. About half way down the forarm looks like they terminate suddenly?
5: Check the definition and angle between the Serratus, and the thoracic portion of the External Obliques.

Sorry if I have made a spelling mistake, am in a rush. Keep up the good work. I am working on some bits, will post a thred of my own soon, thanks for asking.

Danny.

hey Danny, I did the same thing as well with my first drawings. I compared my latest drawings to the ones I did early this year, and I couldn’t believe that i wrote the self note “very good” on some of them (the notes are self critiques I write on my drawings). Anyway, thanks for taking the time t write these points, I’ll use them to correct the male sculpt and keep them in mind for my next muscular man study. Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

First old man study.

Will post updates later. Feedback would be appreciated.

Hi, looking good! Nice to see you try all sorts of proportions and different ages! Some things that I observed would be that the head is a bit too big for his body! Watching from the side I would say he’s a kid rather than an adult. You could scale it up a bit see how that works. Also the neck I’d say is a bit too wide from the front. Watching from the front, the arm seems to me that is twisted from the elbow: you should rotate the forearm a bit from the elbow, try to align it with the biceps. If you study your arm twist, you would see that it happens from the half of the forearm. Being an old man, I would tone down the muscles a bit and make some sort of gravity effect on the skin and muscles, the way you did on the pecs and in the knee area. On the legs, I’d say there a bit too straight like too cylinder form, from the front; try to accentuate the forms in the thigh area and the lower leg part, and narrow a bit where the foot starts. Hope this is helpful, good luck and keep on going, you’re doing good!

I can see allot of good things going on here, he looks more solid that your previous sculpts, and I like the face, and really like what you have done with the feet.

Looking at his proportions, I would say he is about 5.5ft, this is why the head may look a bit larger than normal, he don’t fit into the 7.5 average.

I can see that your trying to add fat flow to the bicep, this is good, but be careful with the form it produces, as this takes away the fact that what your seeing should be fat, and not muscle where it fans out away from the arm pit, rather than into it. It also looks as if the brachialis medial portion is merged with the Bicep which takes away the visual aspect of the insertion for the bicep to the Radialis. Looks as if both are inserting into the Ulna, so much so that we can not see the medial epicondyle.

Also try and visualise weight in the mind, the pectoralis fat should hang more towards the outside, and down, but it looks like your so close to this, just a quick tweak will sort that.

Try to get that angle between the Vastus Lateralis, and Vastus Medialis. You can do this by making sure the Vastus Lateralis is higher than the Vastus medialis and emphasize this by the fat drop from the upper (Superior) outside to the lower (Inferior) inside Medial border of the knee.

When Zack Petroc has his Master class open again for “Rhythms and gestures”, I highly recommend taking this class, he covers what you need to get these forms flowing which adds weight, and gesture to the figure. Again, if there is one book you must have, get Human Anatomy for Artist by Eliot Gold finger, its a book that your refer to over and over again.

Toxicassclown : please, can you crop a little bit your images and avoid having too much empty space around your (very nice) sculpt? Thanks!

Arthur?