ZBrushCentral

First decent anatomy study (Still WIP)

update to the male hero study.

And started a more normal proportion study.

male anatomy_front.jpgmale anatomy_profile.jpg
male anatomy_back.jpg
Feedback on these WIP’s would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

male anatomy_back.jpg

BTW, something is bothering me about the upper back where the infraspinatus and scapula are, on the normal proportion study. Feedback on that would be really helpful.

No time to give feedback to a noob?

More studies. Feel like I’m making progress.
bodybuilder_front.jpgbodybuilder_profile.jpgbodybuilder_back.jpg

Attachments

bodybuilder_front.jpg

Update to current study:
bodybuilder_3 quarter.jpgbodybuilder_back.jpgbodybuilder_front.jpgbodybuilder_profile.jpg

Attachments

bodybuilder_3 quarter.jpg

bodybuilder_front.jpg

bodybuilder_back.jpg

bodybuilder_profile.jpg

I think the head is a tad small for his body. You guys thinks I should scale the head a bit?

update 3: adjusted the size of the head and also the features.

A few things you can be working on.

Make sure you have chosen the hight of your character, be it 7.5 or 8 heads tall. There are plenty of references out there to highlight certain land marks using head heights.

Before doing this you must get the head formed correctly, one thing that pops out is the skull should peak at its highest point at the top rear of head, a little way behind the ear. Between the height from the Mandible (jaw bone) and the highest point of head, yours eyes should be between these points. Its not until you get the head right that you can use it at as measuring reference.

So 2 head to the nipple, 3 heads to the navel, 4 heads to the groin, then for a 7.5 head tall man, start from the feet, 2 heads to the knee cap, 4 heads to the joint of the hip, these reference can be found on the net.

Once you get that sorted, then, start to find the bony land marks, and use them to place your muscles from. I hope you dont mind, but I took your head, and used liquify in Photoshop so you can see visually where its wrong. Once you get these things right, you then have to learn the muscles correct origin and insertion, from there on its just practice. its no small thing to learn, but untill you got the basics down, your see random results.

I can remove the picture if and when your want.

Danny.

Attachments

correction.jpg

I don’t mind the picture. Now I can see exactly what you mean. Thanks for the feedback, I’ll start working on the points you gave right away. Thanks again, mate!

There is a variation from one person to another, your job is to find the right ballance within the anatomical bounderies, have a google about, your see some heads that may apear to be looking “abnormal” these are infact quite normal and average.

All the best.:wink:

Another study; will post an update for the previous one.

fitdude_3quarter.jpgfitdude_back.jpgfitdude_front.jpgfitdude_profile.jpg

Hopefully I’ll get some feedback.

Attachments

fitdude_back.jpg

First female study.

femalestudy_front.jpgfemalestudy_back.jpg
femalestudy_profile.jpg

femalestudy_profile.jpg

This noob needs feedback, guys. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

femalestudy_profile.jpg

Pretty good, I think the female is better than the male. The body looks more or less okay, but the head looks a trifling bit small in proportion to the body. The head also could look a bit more feminine. I would suggest refining the shape of the jaw a bit more, and give the facial features a bit more attention and character.

Nice start on the female. Aim for a 7.5 head tall proportion female. The jaw line sweeps well, nice to see the nose pointing up slightly, and the forhead out front more than the male, so you got some nice female trates going on there. Make the back top of the skull the highest point, and cut into the back of the skull at the base of the orccipital bone more.

Front: To make her look less buch, angle the shoulders forward off the plane of the scapula, take some mass off the deltoid lateral head. She has the arms posed in a nice S curve, so thats good to keep. Rembering that the rib cage has a curve to it, the breast need to hange lower, and nipples pointing slightly outward. To get the correct layer of the Pecs, Bicep, Deltoid, lay down the bicep under arm pit which originates from the coracoid process, then lay down the pecs, then the deltoid on top. Add the sartorius muscle by cutting it in from its origin right down and around the leg into the knee, this helps form the abductors. There are other things like the angle of the lower legs but thats fine for how.

Back: Dont pinch the scapula to close to the center line of her spine, this will remedy itself when you pull the shoulders more forward, unless your aiming for a tougth woman look leading with her chest pushed further out.

Side: The hands, feet need to be made smaller, along with her overal frame, Front delt is missing, sternocleidomastoid is not present from the mastoid process.

Its quite late here, so may have missed a few things, but off first glance thats what iv put down. Overal you have done a good job in most areas. Female is much harder than the male, cant hind behind muscles.

Daniel.

Can you elaborate on the body looking “more or less okay”. Thanks for the feedback!

Hey danny, I was thinking about scaling down the hands and feet, but initially thought they were more or less fine, now I’m sure I have to scale them down. I actually found sculpting women easier than men ( I went in with a very light touch with my strokes) in this case. I guess all those hours I’ve spent scultpting rough muscles have paid off. I’ll post an update tomorrow (NYC time). Thanks for the feedback!

BTW, tips to make the face look more femenine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

First thing as you have already done is females have a larger forehead, does not slope as much as the mans. Have a females face with softer contours for the jaw bone, chin. More space between the eyes and eye brows, and thinner eye brows in general. Brow bone not so defined, and eye sockets not too deep. Smaller nose from the contour point of view, nose pointing slightly up for females. Keep the philtrum shorter in females than men,

Hairline is more straight for female, where as males have a M shape for their hair line. Have the cheekbones more pronounced for females. In general more rounded, softer contours, less bony masses other than the cheekbones. Smaller ears, larger eyes, fuller lips.

Try drawing both female and male heads.

Good luck, Daniel.